Organ meats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Morrison's usually has a good variety and mutton, but you are best finding a good trad butcher. Love ox heart stew and my mum used to grill lambs hearts then melt mature cheddar onto them

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Ox tongue is nice it’s like corned beef.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Are any of you liking this offal under 60 ? :whistle:
Yep. Not scratched 50 yet.

Likewise. 49 next year. I will eat anything with the exception of tripe (found it tasteless).

I agree that tripe is tasteless. It is like a sort of vaguely-savoury tough chewing gum.
I think it's similar in some ways to snails - the sauce is the only good thing about it and IMO the sauces of both would be far better if accompanying something else intended to be neutral in flavour; various forms of pasta and legumes come to mind as being most suitable as a satisfactory replacement for the tripes and snails of this world.
I am sure that the tripe and snails were originally used as an affordable, available source of cheap protein in a protein-poor society, and the sauces were used to make them more appetising/less unappetising. Nowadays we can use delicious sauces with more 'acceptable' carriers.

That said, there was a particular form of tripe in my childhood that used to be served, sauce-less, with a salad. My father liked it very much, so it must have had some sort of flavour. That was the only sort of tripe my mother ever served, she and I would have a slice of ham with our salads.

As a teenager I had a Saturday job in the UCP cafe ...

FrothNinja

Veteran
My mother fed us white tripe which was better than chewing gum in both taste and longevity. She used to claim after feeding it to me, that I spoke what I ate.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Mickle, mate, what did you *think* this thread might all be about?
Although reading about tripe, liver and sweetbreads is enough to get me to join you on the onion bhaji and aloo paneer side of things.
What is a sweet bread?

Top Bottom