Organ meats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
A sweet bread is a yeast-raised baked item made with - usually - wheat flour to which a significant amount of sugar, honey or other sweet ingredient has been added, either before or after baking.

Sweetbreads are the thymus and pancreas of young calves and lambs.
To eat Thymus you have got to be sick :sad:

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Foie gras is awesome but expensive.
I really really love good chicken parfait, prefer it even to foie.
Calves liver with onion and Madeira gravy and some mustardy mash is a winter classic.
Despite the best intentions of my Argentine family I cant stand grilled sweetbreads - Bleeeee
I will try some beef's heart skewers this week - hopefully worth the effort

grldtnr

Foie gras is awesome but expensive.
I really really love good chicken parfait, prefer it even to foie.
Calves liver with onion and Madeira gravy and some mustardy mash is a winter classic.
Despite the best intentions of my Argentine family I cant stand grilled sweetbreads - Bleeeee
I will try some beef's heart skewers this week - hopefully worth the effort
A bit tricky to cook right, is heart, best done low n slow ,braised I think.

Chislenko

Veteran
Bit late to this thread, liver no, kidneys love them, a nice heart a rare treat these days, used to get them at the local butchers when we had one but don't recall seeing them in supermarkets.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I quite like liver, mum used to grill it to death which put me off a bit, but liver casserole is very nice. Cake and Sydney pie is delicious too. I had a dish in Spain once which was testicles and tripe in a tomato type stew. The tripe was ok but the balls tasted like spunky jelly. I don't think I've ever had heart.

I don't buy any offal now, think I'll have to look out for it. It's one of the things, like fish, that I've got to be in the mood for

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a bowl of lambs' lung stew on the platform of a remote railway station near Istanbul. It was delicious but did something terrible to my intestines. It wasn't a good idea given that the train took two and a half days to reach Tehran.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Was in Milan a couple of weeks ago. Brains were on the menu, but I settled for tripe.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I bought a bowl of lambs' lung stew on the platform of a remote railway station near Istanbul. It was delicious but did something terrible to my intestines. It wasn't a good idea given that the train took two and a half days to reach Tehran.

A friend of mine ordered a dish in Morocco some years ago.
He thought he was ordering a vegetarian meal.

When it arrived he said to the waiter that he wanted his dish with no meat.

A bit later he was served the revised dish without the muscle meat of the animal but all the gutty, stomachy and intestinal looking bits in there.

He didn't indulge.

Top Bottom