overtaken by a fixed rider!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Single speed conversions are God's own transport. All the simplicity but none of the fiddle. :biggrin:

Ah yes, that terrible compromise of having a freewheel. I curse it every time I go down Cheddar Gorge. :eek:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Single speed conversions are God's own transport. All the simplicity but none of the fiddle. :biggrin:

Ah yes, that terrible compromise of having a freewheel. I curse it every time I go down Cheddar Gorge. :eek:

At least if you had gears you could pedal.
how can single speed possibly be an improvement on gears? and don't come all the "simplicity, easy to maintain" bollocks. I want actual, tangible advantages.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@Chuffy - Nail. Head. Hit. Cog + sh1tload of spacers = perfect chainline :evil:

@Bonj - it's just another bike. It's a cheap way to get something that's simple and good. It's not a miracle cure, it's not the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything, it's just...nice.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Thing is, Bonj, on a fixed, you must keep pedalling, even going downhill.

You have to choose a gear that will get you up the hills, and on a fixed, that also limits how fast you can go down them.

A single speed allows you to just freewheel and let gravity take over. That's why it might be an improvement. Could this be why freewheels were invented...?

Uncle Phil said:

You have to choose a gear that will get you up the hills, and on a fixed, that also limits how fast you can go down them.

A single speed allows you to just freewheel and let gravity take over. That's why it might be an improvement. Could this be why freewheels were invented...?
It's why Henri Desgranges was dead against them being used by Tour riders.

And my dear Bonj, if you don't think convenience and simplicity are tangible benefits then what are?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:

but there is a tangible advantage to a fixed, being that forward momentum maintains rotational momentum of the cranks. Well, so i've heard. I'm not sure whether it does, i'm going to try it anyhow. But with a singlespeed with a freewheel, you don't even get that - so there is no point to it whatsoever over a geared bike.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chuffy said:
It's why Henri Desgranges was dead against them being used by Tour riders.

And my dear Bonj, if you don't think convenience and simplicity are tangible benefits then what are?

* mechanical advantage, e.g. the forward momentum of the bike maintains the rotational momentum of the cranks. In other words, if you think of what your body experiences when riding a singlespeed in terms of the energy expended, forces applied, etc., you can recreate that exact same experience on the body by riding a geared bike. In other words, the experience of riding a geared bike is a superset of riding a singlespeed.
In other words, in terms of a venn diagram (understand what venn diagrams are chuffy?)
the experiences would be illustrated as such:
venndiag.jpg

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:
Good man.

Then you'll be in a position to comment.

I don't need to ride a singlespeed to be able to comment on the fact that it's pointless.
I've never met the Queen either, but I can decisively say that she's also pointless.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
bonj said:
I don't need to ride a singlespeed to be able to comment on the fact that it's pointless.

Ah, this is more like the Bonj we know and love.

With all due respect, I think you do need to. Or at least, you need some experience of riding a fixed in a hilly area.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:

With all due respect, I think you do need to. Or at least, you need some experience of riding a fixed in a hilly area.

I have got experience of riding a singlespeed. Just ride my geared bike and don't bother changing gear. Same thing.

Uncle Phil said:

I've never met Bonj but I can still categorically say that he's a...
...well, you get the idea. :biggrin:

Bonj, you dear little prune-headed divot. Can you really not see that running a single cog, as opposed to front and rear derailleurs plus shifters gives a massive benefit in simplicity and ease? To the 11th circle of hades with your silly Venn diagrams, you're missing the point completely! :wacko:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
He's right; it isn't. No amount of Venn diagrams will change that.

Try it and see for yourself (not hard, as there's an even chance you'll end up with a flip-flop rear hub which will take a freewheel on one side. If you don't like the freewheel, you can always take it off again and stick with the fixed side). It's the only way you'll learn!

Top Bottom