overtaken by a fixed rider!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit I'm terribly disappointed each time I see a bike, and then realise it's single speed and not fixed. I keep thinking "Oh you wimp, do properly or don't bother."

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
BentMikey said:
I must admit I'm terribly disappointed each time I see a bike, and then realise it's single speed and not fixed. I keep thinking "Oh you wimp, do properly or don't bother."

Yep, when i have see people out on singlespeeds i've thought the same. Especially the guy around here on the Langster, i thought it was fixed untill he stopped pedling to go round a courner.
There was also a British Langster at the cycle thing in the town square in Nottingham, that was singlespeed, but he dressd it up like those people do in London with their fixed bikes.
Go for a fixed/fixed hub, the system ex hub gives you the choice of fixed/fixed or fixed/single. I guess the other fixe hubs will give you the choice or fixed/fixed aswell.
Fixed/fixed also gives you the option of putting a bigger/smaller sprocket on the other side, and you can still ride it fixed.;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:

Depends on the bike and terrain, single speed MTBs make a lot more sense that fixed MTBs. I've ridden both...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Origamist said:
Depends on the bike and terrain, single speed MTBs make a lot more sense that fixed MTBs. I've ridden both...

That's a bmx surely...;)

I'm with Mikey as far as road-bikes arfe concerned, although ss is simple, fixed is better IMO.

Tharg2007

Veteran
I've been using the brakes allot less last week and today legs felt a bit on the tender side :biggrin: amazing how it exercises a whole new set of muscles.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I hardly used the brakes on my fixed on Sunday, did 50/60miles. Used them on one long downhill, would of been well over 40mph if i was on a geared. I'm happy going up to the low 30mph mark, but high 30's and i'm not too happy. Although, i like the way the bike feels at those speeds, seems to get very loose, and feel really really light.
I did about 27miles today, only 20 that i know the speed and time of because i went to LBS on the bike to get a computer. I got a max speed of 27mph, and i was able to compare fixed to geared with a head wid on the same roads. I had road the geared back from the caravan on the same roads i was on the fixed on. On the geared i was around 17.5mph-18mph. On the fixed i was 19mph-19.5mph. Which i liked. ;)
But then i think it was due to the gear i was in on the Giant, i was probably grinding, but i think that maybe if i had span more like i was doing on the fixed, i would of been faster on the geared:wacko:

BentMikey said:
Ah, so it is a macho thing then....

MessenJah

Rider
Uncle Phil said:
Thing is, Bonj, on a fixed, you must keep pedalling, even going downhill.

You have to choose a gear that will get you up the hills, and on a fixed, that also limits how fast you can go down them.

A single speed allows you to just freewheel and let gravity take over. That's why it might be an improvement. Could this be why freewheels were invented...?
This is what I hate about riding a fixed wheel in a fairly hilly city centre.

They're fine in central london, or other flat cities, but not much good for anything else but track cycling.

yenrod

My Feelings on a fixed (not that anyone will listen but still :tongue:):

I dont feel I'd want one really as I use quite a few of my gears, if not all of them and what they offer.

I see them as being the cycle fraternity version of the carworlds Robin Reliant fanatics.

Top Bottom