overtaken by a fixed rider!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think they, or rather some of their more over excited fans, are annoying in the same way that evangelists for Apple Macs are annoying. Yeah, yeah, you've got a great toy, it's better than my toy and you're hipper than I'll ever be. Wooh, I so wish I was as cool as you.
Happy now, punk? :tongue:

yenrod

Chuffy said:
I think they, or rather some of their more over excited fans, are annoying in the same way that evangelists for Apple Macs are annoying. Yeah, yeah, you've got a great toy, it's better than my toy and you're hipper than I'll ever be. Wooh, I so wish I was as cool as you.
Happy now, punk? :tongue:

:sad:

MessenJah

Rider
yenrod said:
And I dont feel they're safe either !
What exactly is unsafe about a fixed wheel bike compared to a freewheeling bike?

Ok so it might feel unsafe going downhill too fast at a cadence of 100,000 RPM... but there's a brake.

I suppose in comparison to a geared bike you have the increased risk of knee damage too...

Chuffy said:
Happy now, punk? :biggrin:

:biggrin: But seriously, even though my fixie's in many pieces in the shed, it still makes me a better person than you.

:biggrin::biggrin:

MessenJah

Rider
Chuffy said:
Happy now, punk? :biggrin:
You probably wouldn't like this :biggrin:

Just for the record, I can't stand it

Abitrary

If someone has cycling as a hobby, and they get an urge to get into fixed or single speed, then they simply need another hobby, before they start throwing bad hobby after good.

Maybe something a bit more intellectual? Art classes maybe?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
MessenJah said:
What exactly is unsafe about a fixed wheel bike compared to a freewheeling bike?

Ok so it might feel unsafe going downhill too fast at a cadence of 100,000 RPM... but there's a brake.

I suppose in comparison to a geared bike you have the increased risk of knee damage too...

True. Except for the knee damage though - received wisdom seems to be that fixed is neutral or even slightly better for your knees than geared.

MessenJah

Rider
BentMikey said:
True. Except for the knee damage though - received wisdom seems to be that fixed is neutral or even slightly better for your knees than geared.
Continually starting off in a relatively high gear is definitely not good for your knees.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Now this bit doesn't make sense to me. There are lots of situations where your knees can take a huge loading, far more than what they'll get on fixed. Take speedskating, for example, there's a lot of leg force involved in every stride, far more than your own body weight. You don't get knee problems with skating any more than with cycling.

I think the whole urban myth of fixed and knee injuries has mostly come about for a couple of reasons:
* People just starting with fixed. Riding fixed is quite a bit more work than riding geared, so without realising it they are suddenly adding a big increase to their training load, still trying to do the same rides/mileage. No wonder knee problems crop up.
* New bike setup and cleat position. Together with the above, these are the biggest causes of knee problems. Knee issues are common with any new bike, geared or fixed, no wonder people mis-attribute this to fixed.

The consensus mentioned above comes from some pretty serious fixed riders, LEL and PBP finishers no less, so I'm not a believer in fixed equalling knee problems.

Christopher

Über Member
Agree with Bent Mikey - had to give up playing football as my knees were getting damaged. I have less knee pain riding fixed than geared, especially in the cold!

BentMikey said:
The consensus mentioned above comes from some pretty serious fixed riders, LEL and PBP finishers no less, so I'm not a believer in fixed equalling knee problems.
That's a bit like saying that because x number of people managed to climb Everest without oxygen, oxygen isn't a requirement for climbing Everest. People with knee problems wouldn't come anywhere near even qualifying for PBP or LEL. You've got your logic arse about tit dear boy! :smile:

Greenbank

Über Member
When you start riding fixed you aren't used to generating the large amounts of torque required for pulling away quickly or going up steep stuff.

At first this hurts your knees (as well as your calves, thighs, and upper body; my arms and stomach muscles took a hell of a beating when I first started riding fixed, especially in hilly terrain). Then you get used to it.

People assume that because it hurts at first; it must be bad.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So does this mean then, that fixed works more of the body/works the body more then if you were riding geared? Or no?

Top Bottom