overtaken by a fixed rider!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

MessenJah said:
What exactly is unsafe about a fixed wheel bike compared to a freewheeling bike?

Ok so it might feel unsafe going downhill too fast at a cadence of 100,000 RPM... but there's a brake.

I suppose in comparison to a geared bike you have the increased risk of knee damage too...

There is definitely danger associated with riding a fixed around tight corners if you're not prepared, no lifting the left leg around left corners and vice versa. Also if you get too near the kerb for whatever reason.

Dave.

Greenbank

Über Member
Joe24 said:
So does this mean then, that fixed works more of the body/works the body more then if you were riding geared? Or no?

Not really. To generate more torque you're going to need more of certain muscles.

Before you can do this you end up resorting to lots of honking and straining on the bars. It's a big upper body workout to heave up some slopes at first.

The more torque you can generate from your legs alone the less you have to make up for it with the upper body.

You're putting in the same amount of power, it's just that you don't have the mechanical advantage of gearing to let you put in less torque over greater distance (i.e. higher cadence).

Think of it as lifting a 20kg bag of cement from the floor to a shelf 1m high. Compare that to lifting 20 1kg bags one at a time (spinning), or lifting them in 4 batches of 5kg (an average gear).

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
not sure 'cos i've never rode one, but could you not come to an almost-halt with the left pedal at the top, then while going really slowly
swing your right leg over to the left, then you've got the distance that a half-turn of the cranks gives you to get your right foot over and touch down, and come to a halt? I do that thing of coasting while stood solely on one side of the bike, you could do it on a fixie but only for a short distance otherwise the left pedal will start going up again...

either that or always stop next to a lamp post.

Ok, it's taken a while to get back to this one...

Setting aside the fact that I've never learned to through my leg over and ride 'one sided' like that - ok, that's my problem - but if I come to the top of the stroke while going slowly, and then put all my weight on one pedal, I'm not going to be able to control the speed am I? OK, if I have brakes I can, but they'll have to be jammed on pretty hard to counteract my entire weight on one pedal aren't they? Or am I missing something?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's quite fun to unclip from one side and swing one leg over so that you're in the position you'd be "scooting" on a regular bike.

Except still travelling at some speed. The momentum carries you up and down on the one pedal like a carousel horse going up and down.

I think that the tendency of the bike to do this to you would make it quite hard for Arch to ride a fixie. Or rather, to stop riding it! You're welcome to try, though - it's not a huge frame.

Christopher

Über Member
MessenJah said:
You probably wouldn't like this ;)

Just for the record, I can't stand it
I downloaded that and read it on the PC eating my tea. Quite amusing, but hard to read (way too many graphics as b/g for the text). I especially liked the 'Ten Things You should have done by now' [on your fixed-wheel bike]. Haven't done a single one and didn't know what half of them meant!

For a laugh you can also look at the 'King Kog' website and contemplate buying a rusty 1971 Mercian track frame, for a mere eight hundred dollars (it's been sold), or $350 for an Aerospoke front wheel. Actually that whole 'hipster-fixed' scene is just another form of consurmerism and deep conformity, read bikesnobNYC for a better analysis of what's going on.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The best way to get off a fixed is to unclip your noral foot that you would unclip, so the left for me, lock my right leg up and let the pedals lift me up, swing my leg over the saddle then when your right foot comes back down, put your right on the floor and unclip the left foot.
Easier with straps when you can just pull your foot out and carry on walking:becool:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
It's quite fun to unclip from one side and swing one leg over so that you're in the position you'd be "scooting" on a regular bike.

Except still travelling at some speed. The momentum carries you up and down on the one pedal like a carousel horse going up and down.

I think that the tendency of the bike to do this to you would make it quite hard for Arch to ride a fixie. Or rather, to stop riding it! You're welcome to try, though - it's not a huge frame.

No, really, I think I'd hate that! Assuming I ever mastered the swinging one leg over thing, I'm not good at taking on new physical challenges...

I heard a tale from one of the York posse about a guy in Sheffield, tried to nick a fixie, without noticing it was a fixie. Pedalled away, and then tried to freewheel on the first big downhill. Apparently he was still in plaster when his case came to court...

Arch said:
I'm not good at taking on new physical challenges...
Oh I'm sure you are...;)

I heard a tale from one of the York posse about a guy in Sheffield, tried to nick a fixie, without noticing it was a fixie. Pedalled away, and then tried to freewheel on the first big downhill. Apparently he was still in plaster when his case came to court...
Andy Gates tells a similar tale about sitting outside a pub years ago and watching someone try to nick his fixie....
...and then disentangling the thief from the twisted wreckage about thirty seconds later. :biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Greenbank said:
Not really. To generate more torque you're going to need more of certain muscles.

Before you can do this you end up resorting to lots of honking and straining on the bars. It's a big upper body workout to heave up some slopes at first.

The more torque you can generate from your legs alone the less you have to make up for it with the upper body.

You're putting in the same amount of power, it's just that you don't have the mechanical advantage of gearing to let you put in less torque over greater distance (i.e. higher cadence).

Think of it as lifting a 20kg bag of cement from the floor to a shelf 1m high. Compare that to lifting 20 1kg bags one at a time (spinning), or lifting them in 4 batches of 5kg (an average gear).
I don't buy that you use your upper body that much when honking up a hill. Certainly not a 'massive upper body workout'.

Greenbank

Über Member
bonj said:
I don't buy that you use your upper body that much when honking up a hill. Certainly not a 'massive upper body workout'.

OK, I'll rephrase it:-

When I first started riding fixed I wasn't able to generate the massive amounts of torque required to get up steep hills (sustained sections of 10%) and relied a lot on honking and wrestling the bike up the hills with lots of pulling/pushing on the bars. It felt like a massive upper body workout. A 100km semi-hilly ride would leave me with aching arms and stomach muscles.

Now I'm used to it I can do the very same climbs faster but remaining seated. My legs are now able to generate the required torque.

Anything over 10% and I'll need to start honking again, and anything over 15% (i.e. White Down) usually has me walking.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:

No, you do. I did a club ride and honked up most hills in a big gear, the next day my arms werent as strong and could feel a few aches in them.
Might not be massive, but its still a good workout.

Top Bottom