Pedals and shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
I'm about to sign up to.do London to Paris again in 2019.

When I done it in 2015 I had a road bike and had clip in pedals and shoes. After this trip I decided I didn't wanna road bike anymore and bought a cyclocross bike as I could then use it for road and for out on the trails with the kids. Well today I've decided to do l2p again.

I don't want to buy a new bike so I'm going to be using my cyclocross bike. Merida cx500 I think it is. But I want.some pedals and shoes. But I don't want.to have to use cycling shoes all the time like when I'm out with the kids. So what pedal and shoe set up will work please?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Shimano SPD. Often referred to as MTB pedals/cleats, they tend to fit flush with the soles of the shoes so you can walk normally. I use these across all my bikes, road, MTB, CX and recumbents.
Shoe wise, you're spoilt for choice from roadbike types, winter boots and stuff that looks like normal trainers.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you want to use cycling shoes with cleats and ordinary shoes when out with your kids then as @fatjel said you need double sided pedals, flat one side and SPD the other. Swap your CX tyres for a more slicker road tyre and you’ll be good to go, good luck.

Good morning,

Join me in being a luddite, ^_^ I have plastic toe clips and leather straps on both of my bikes.

If I am wearing normal shoes the plastic clips don't damage the shoes and if I want to go fast I wear cycling shoes without any cleats and tighten the straps.

The only downside is that trainers are slightly inefficient as the pedals don't have a flat surface to spread the load I waste energy crushing the padding!

I do accept that clipless is better than clips and straps but the difference is less than you might expect and as a non racer am quite happy to live with that loss.

Once you get practiced with clips and straps it is easy to tighten them just enough so that there is almost no movement on an upstroke but loose enough that you can remove your foot without undoing them.

I use Aldi cycling shoes and it seems that as you are not pulling up and pushing down with cleats the shoes don't crack around the cleat mount point, something that others have reported.

Bye

Ian

p.s. Dear Shimano, please make some of the old fashioned shoes plates ( those that fit over the edge of the pedal) with SPD mounts.

Attachments

• tc2.png
    tc2.png
    264 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Join me in being a luddite, ^_^ I have plastic toe clips and leather straps on both of my bikes.

If I am wearing normal shoes the plastic clips don't damage the shoes and if I want to go fast I wear cycling shoes without any cleats and tighten the straps.
Once you get practiced with clips and straps it is easy to tighten them just enough so that there is almost no movement on an upstroke but loose enough that you can remove your foot without undoing them.
I'm also a follower of King Ludd, having used clips and straps all my cycling life.

I have springy steel and plastic clips on different bikes, and I also use them with cycling shoes with no cleats (old fashioned 80s leather shoes). It's the way all touring cyclists used to do it - cleats were only for racing. And yes, with a bit of experience it's pretty easy to tighten the straps enough to keep the feet in place but still easy to get them out. I don't even think about removing my feet - I just stop, and the next thing I notice is that my foot is on the ground.

If I was starting new I'd almost certainly go for "clipless", but I really see no point now - to echo the answer I gave to a cycling friend last weekend who commented on my footwear, I'm too old to learn a new way of falling off bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh dear. The entire cycling world recognises the benefits you get with SPDs and other clip-in systems and along come TWO old-school types preaching otherwise.

si_c

Guru
I use double sided SPD pedals, but you can get flat adapters on amazon for around a tenner. You clip them on as you would your feet normally, but they have pins and a flat surface like a regular pedal.

Otherwise single-sided shimano SPD pedals such as the A530 mentioned above are a great choice.

mgs315

I’ve got A530 on my commuter and M540 (slightly lighter and more expensive versions of M520s which would be better value for money) and I’ve not once use the flat side of my A530s and simply prefer the ‘forget about it’ style clipping you get with double sided.

If you would prefer a flat side for when out with the kids the A530s are still worth it though. Just be wary of the sensation of different leg lengths depending on what side you’re using with whatever shoes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
you need double sided pedals,
All pedals are double sided, but the ones you suggest have SPD one side and flat the other. Others are using double sided to describe ones which one can clip into with spd cleats, on both sides. Just saying.
Join me in being a luddite,
The OP was quite clear their rationale for wanting a clipped and non-clipped option, thus displayed no inclination to destroy machinery and is an unlikely 'joiner' to your (not) merry band of bus pass holders.
The A530 pedal recommendation gets my support (have them on my pub bike).

vickster

Legendary Member
M324 another option. More akin to a standard flat pedal if that’s preferred. Some have a smallish platform which might poke through a thinner soled trainer

Top Bottom