Pedals and shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I use 'Boardman Hybrid Pedals' and 'Giro Rumble VR Shoes' as my work commute/kids/touring combo. The hybrid pedals are flat one side and spd the other so can be ridden with the rumble shoes or with regular trainers. The Giro shoes are dead on as an everyday shoe as the cleat is recessed in the sole.

(double-sided) SPDs here too
Used them on my Do It All (commuter/'365'/winter/training/explorer) bikes for a lot of years
The best for day to day use, where some walking maybe envisaged
Perfect for commuting too, as there's no flipping it over, when restarting from traffic-lights/STOP lines/etc...

Raced with them (CX & MTB) from about 1991, throughout my racing time

vickster

Legendary Member
What is meant by double sided?

Anybody got any links please?
For example, Shimano M520, you can clip the cleat into either side. No need to flip the pedal to clip in but don’t work without cleats (at least not for v far), so no trainers

Super pedals, cheap, hard wearing. Around £20 with cleats

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
So something like Shimano A530 pedals then?
A530 if you are wanting to clip in on one side of the pedal, you can then flip the pedal over to the flat platform for when you are wearing ordinary shoes.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360266236&kpid=5360266236&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=&utm_content=mckv|s_dt|mcrid|295297496066|mkw||mmt||mrd||mslid||&mkwid=s_dt&pcrid=295297496066&pkw=&pmt=&slid=&pgrid=57437921977&ptaid=pla-296303633664

Denis99

Über Member
Just to muddy the water, I would suggest you have a look at the Time / Mavic mob pedals.

They are like the Shimano offering, being double sided, but are a bit more knee friendly in having a bit more float designed into them (compared to Shimano spud).

You can still walk in them, they are just a little different in their design, but do the same thing a little better in my experience.

If you already have a pair of suitable shoes to fit then I could loan you a pair of the Time pedals for you to try if you want?

vickster

Legendary Member
I want to be able to ride the bike with trainers and then also ride it clipped in for when I'm out on my own.
Then you don’t want dual sided clipless

I hate the ones you have to flip myself, m520 all the way. Ymmv

Top Bottom