Pedals and shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Combi pedals are the worst of all worlds! If you like to be clipped in (I do, no pretence about increased efficiency but it does allow me to handle the bike better) then why not get a shoe that is suitable for the leisure rides so you can enjoy the clipped in experience every time you ride?

I have a pair of Shimano MTB SPD shoes and these look almost normal to the casual observer so you avoid that awkward 'cyclist without a bike' look when away from the bikes. They are also really comfortable as the Vibram sole means they can be worn all day and are actually pretty good for walking in. They are comfortable for all day long distance rides and when you walk into a pub at lunchtime you won't look like a freak (well, not because of the shoes anyway :laugh:).

upload_2018-9-18_14-41-47.png

upload_2018-9-18_14-42-29.png

These shoes are also gortex lined so if you step in a puddle the water can't leak through the cleat bolt holes and soak your feet.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I'm confused as what my options are now. I will have a look back through the post.

Then you have had the best options suggested :smile: Have fun with your new pedals

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm confused as what my options are now. I will have a look back through the post.
  1. Forget about clipping in and do you 'big' ride in normal shoes that you are using currently.
  2. Compromise by getting a combination pedal that will be a pain to use which ever footwear you are in.
  3. Get a double sided clip-in pedal that can engage which ever way up it is and then find shoes that are suitable, discreet and stylish.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I always fancied a pair of these for that 'posh' dinner engagement but it appears they have stopped making them and are just selling off the last of the stock now (only black remaining) :sad:

upload_2018-9-18_15-7-13.png

https://dromarti.com

I tell a lie! It seems they do have the brown in size 45 (I need a 46).

upload_2018-9-18_15-12-13.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I've just seen the m530 for a good price. These seem to be the type I'm after from reading all the posts. Can clip in either side. And then I would just need shoes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably nothing, just different retailers

If there’s a clip both side, it’ll dig into your trainers if riding flats or if recessed be a pain to attach the cleat if clipless

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Wouldn't that happen with the.m520 aswell?

I think I'm going to have to go for a.dedicated pair of cycling trainers with cleats as that seems my best option.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wouldn't that happen with the.m520 aswell?

I think I'm going to have to go for a.dedicated pair of cycling trainers with cleats as that seems my best option.
Indeed. M520 only work with cleats although I have ridden a mile or so to the LBS in trainers
You’ll need shoes if you ever want to ride clipless, or just use flat pedals although there’s no reason why you can’t clip in when out with the kids

Old jon

Guru
Just discovered that Evans are selling the Shimano M520 pedals at around £20. Ordered mine.

Also discovered the price has been mentioned already. Ooops!!

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is it just me or is the m530 pedal and its type just a comfort blanket for people that are lacking confidence in the SPD system?
The cleat engages to the pedal and is the most prominent part of the system. The sole of the shoe cannot make contact 1st or you will be unable to clip in. The pedal surround does nothing except add weight as it is the cleat and sole stiffness that supports the foot.
I have always used the m520 equivalent then as i got older and a bit more affluent treated myself to the XT versions, purely to match the other bits on my bikes. I even got a pair of XTR for my most recent carbon bike with Ultegra groupset, it just seemed right. The XT & XTR don't work any better in practice.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I've used clip in pedals before so I'm confident in using them.

So you think the m520 are just as good/better than the m530?

Is it just me or is the m530 pedal and its type just a comfort blanket for people that are lacking confidence in the SPD system?
The cleat engages to the pedal and is the most prominent part of the system. The sole of the shoe cannot make contact 1st or you will be unable to clip in. The pedal surround does nothing except add weight as it is the cleat and sole stiffness that supports the foot.
I have always used the m520 equivalent then as i got older and a bit more affluent treated myself to the XT versions, purely to match the other bits on my bikes. I even got a pair of XTR for my most recent carbon bike with Ultegra groupset, it just seemed right. The XT & XTR don't work any better in practice.

Top Bottom