Person playing loud music walking down our street in middle of night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So for the last few weeks some bloke (ordinary looking, 20 something) has been walking past our house (small terraced street) every two or three days with loud music playing, usually around 1am to 2am but this morning it was 4am, you can hear it from a good 100 yards either side. I got to the window as he was right outside last night and shouted at him to 'turn the bloody music off' he looked round but just kept going. I'm minded to leg it out there and (as politely as I can manage) ask him to have some consideration for other people but if he's tells me to F off and turns it up even lounder it could well get messy, for instance either me stabbed or arrested for assault.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
So for the last few weeks some bloke (ordinary looking, 20 something) has been walking past our house (small terraced street) every two or three days with loud music playing, usually around 1am to 2am but this morning it was 4am, you can hear it from a good 100 yards either side. I got to the window as he was right outside last night and shouted at him to 'turn the bloody music off' he looked round but just kept going. I'm minded to leg it out there and (as politely as I can manage) ask him to have some consideration for other people but if he's tells me to F off and turns it up even lounder it could well get messy, for instance either me stabbed or arrested for assault.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Other than sympathy, I can offer no constructive suggestion, sadly.

Perhaps, with luck, Darwinsm will come to you rescue, but, it may take some time....

Jody

Stubborn git
What is the music being played on if he is on foot?

There is little you can do other than let it slide or phone the police.

Not sure I'd want to get into a confrontation with someone who is out on foot in the early hours.

I call it a "ghetto blaster"

If he does it again video the behaviour, preferably on several occasions othetwise it becomes a "he said she said" dispute.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Don't see any point in videoing him, police won't be interested, the nick just down the road shut last year and I expect they've got about half a dozen coppers on duty for the whole county at that time of day, besides, I doubt he's committing any actual offence.
I suppose I could decide to wash down my front path, it would be an accident when I chucked a bucket of water over him as I wasn't expecting anyone to be on the pavement at that time:whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don't see any point in videoing him, police won't be interested, the nick just down the road shut last year and I expect they've got about half a dozen coppers on duty for the whole county at that time of day, besides, I doubt he's committing any actual offence.
I suppose I could decide to wash down my front path, it would be an accident when I chucked a bucket of water over him as I wasn't expecting anyone to be on the pavement at that time:whistle:

You could do that on a really cold night, might help the Darwin plan along? ;)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Similar situation here. We have a woman who turns up outside our house at around 5 or 6 in the morning, sometimes with a megaphone. She is preaching. Goes on for around a hour.
What can you do? Apart from a bucket of water as suggested.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Similar situation here. We have a woman who turns up outside our house at around 5 or 6 in the morning, sometimes with a megaphone. She is preaching. Goes on for around a hour.
What can you do? Apart from a bucket of water as suggested.
I'd be running a hose out for that.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Knowing me I'd forget and go A over T first thing in the morning.

Actually, I have often pondered an idea, connected to this problem, but, don't have the technical know how to achieve it.

I have usually considered it to a possible deterrent to to the idiots who drive around with music blaring so loud it can be heard outside the car, and/or the have their windows open, thus polluting the rest of the world with their choice of music, but, I suppose, it would be applicable in your example too?

Would it be possible to make a small electronic gizmo, which could emit a signal which would fry the circuits in the music source, and/or the car's ECU? ;)

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Actually, I have often pondered an idea, connected to this problem, but, don't have the technical know how to achieve it.

I have usually considered it to a possible deterrent to to the idiots who drive around with music blaring so loud it can be heard outside the car, and/or the have their windows open, thus polluting the rest of the world with their choice of music, but, I suppose, it would be applicable in your example too?

Would it be possible to make a small electronic gizmo, which could emit a signal which would fry the circuits in the music source, and/or the car's ECU? ;)
Great idea! I'll just go and cobble one together out of an old stereo I've got;)

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You can report it to the council, start logging it now, date and time, and video if you can safely. It's not an offense in itself but persistant public neausance could get him a warning as a starter. If you've already asked him, which sounds like you have, yes you could try a bucket of water (which may have been used to "clean" your collection of 100 chopped up scotch bonnett chillis) is an option, but I'd then be worried about having a brick through my window the next night. And then he'd run away. And you wouldn't have proof, or even know where he lived. Then you'd have to pay for a new window.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
You can report it to the council, start logging it now, date and time, and video if you can safely. It's not an offense in itself but persistant public neausance could get him a warning as a starter. If you've already asked him, which sounds like you have, yes you could try a bucket of water (which may have been used to "clean" your collection of 100 chopped up scotch bonnett chillis) is an option, but I'd then be worried about having a brick through my window the next night. And then he'd run away. And you wouldn't have proof, or even know where he lived. Then you'd have to pay for a new window.
Yep, my thoughts too re. the brick. I wondered if maybe he's autistic or similar and doesn't actually realise what he's doing, in which case explaining calmly and suggesting he gets some head phones might work.

Top Bottom