Phrases I`m getting increasingly sick of hearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
People who say they cant wear watches because they stop working on them. BS. These people like to think they are something special and their bodies emit some sort of watch stopping energy.
An ex of mine used to claim this, so i bought her a watch and it worked fine. It did stop after about two years and she came out with all the i told you so stuff. But it only stopped because the battery needed replacing.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
People who say they cant wear watches because they stop working on them. BS. These people like to think they are something special and their bodies emit some sort of watch stopping energy.
An ex of mine used to claim this, so i bought her a watch and it worked fine. It did stop after about two years and she came out with all the i told you so stuff. But it only stopped because the battery needed replacing.

I was on a backpacking trip around the North of England, a couple of years back.

A few days in, my watch stopped, I assumed it needed a new battery.

On passing through Liverpool, I stopped in at a jewellers, and asked them to replace it.

Imagine my embaressment when the guy behind the counter handed it back to me, politely pointing out that I'd knocked the winder out if it - so yes - it was quite likely to have ceased functioning :-(

gbb

Legendary Member
People why TYPE with seemingly RANDOM WORDS in capital LETTERS.

We are NOT STUPID, we can READ, and research HAS shown that such UNNECESSARY use of capitals actually makes it LESS LIKELY that the message will be read and properly understood, so you are causing the opposite effect OF that which you INTENDED.

Do these people speak like that as well?
I occasionally do that. Stupid, only if you make a blanket opinion. I do it to emphasise a word not for a random reason , it's a well established, oft used way of doing that. You highlighted the fact you struggled to read such words, no problem, I wouldnt do it knowing it was a problem, for you or anyone. A tad of a touchy generalisation methinks.

Edited to add...we all do something that annoys someone, unwittingly usually. Nough said :okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Along the same lines:

"We're/I'm sorry for any offence caused"
No, you're not. You're not apologising for saying or doing something offensive, you're saying "I'm sorry you were offended"

*grump*

But it may not be offensive to them. We live in an era where people are quick to be offended or offended on behalf of others. So, this phrase kinda acts as a pacifier.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was on a backpacking trip around the North of England, a couple of years back.

A few days in, my watch stopped, I assumed it needed a new battery.

On passing through Liverpool, I stopped in at a jewellers, and asked them to replace it.

Imagine my embaressment when the guy behind the counter handed it back to me, politely pointing out that I'd knocked the winder out if it - so yes - it was quite likely to have ceased functioning :-(
Yeah but that's because you're a clumsy so and so, not because you're from the planet Krypton.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Literally.

Why do so many of my younger work colleagues seem to have to add "literally" to every single thing they say?

"I literally haven't had my lunch yet."
"It literally cost me a tenner."
"I was literally driving down the dual carriageway and this Ford literally overtook me.." well if it didn't overtake you what else did it do?:stop:

I can see to anybody over 30 this would be a silly term. But there is a whole demograohic that operates in both the literal and digital world, so using 'literally' different between the two.

Smudge

Veteran
The absolute worst for me has to be.... Lessons will be learnt.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
But it may not be offensive to them. We live in an era where people are quick to be offended or offended on behalf of others. So, this phrase kinda acts as a pacifier.

Saying "I apologise if you were offended" is nothing like saying "I apologise for offending you" though.

The latter is a genuine apology and and an expression of regret for an effect that should have been foreseeable by the speaker.

The former implies there was some kind of unguessable sensitivity for the person offended that the speaker could not foresee when 9 times out of 10 it was entirely the speaker's fault (viz. any politician's "apology"). This isn't an apology at all; it's just patronising.

Anything lifted from a forum populated by mostly ‘mericans. 4chan Redit etc. “U mad”, “still a better love story than Twighlight” blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The word unbelievable, as used by sports commentators, especially at football matches, but other sports also, to describe an unbelievable goal, pass, shot, tackle. It's not unbelievable, it has happened, it may be wonderful, magnificent, brilliant use any other adjectives you need. It really annoys me.:angry:

Top Bottom