Planet X Titanium frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What saddle is it?
The brand is Selle SMP. Selle just means "saddle" in Italian so don't get distracted by other brands like Selle Italia, Selle Royale, etc. ;)
All Selle SMP models are distinguished by the deep cut-out down the middle and hooked/beaked nose.
I don't know which model @ianrauk uses (Hybrid? Extra?)
I have the Dynamic on all my bikes that involve a forward leaning position (i.e. bars more or less level with saddle).

ETA: Looks like the Extra in @ianrauk's photos.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The brand is Selle SMP. Selle just means "saddle" in Italian so don't get distracted by other brands like Selle Italia, Selle Royale, etc. ;)
All Selle SMP models are distinguished by the deep cut-out down the middle and hooked/beaked nose.
I don't know which model @ianrauk uses (Hybrid? Extra?)
I have the Dynamic on all my bikes that involve a forward leaning position (i.e. bars more or less level with saddle).

ETA: Looks like the Extra in @ianrauk's photos.

I have both the Extra and the Hybrid on my bikes. Both supremely comfortable.

@RoubaixCube
I don't want to hijack this thread but want to flag up, the Selle SMP saddles are different from other saddles in several ways other than looks:
  • They need to be set up on the bike differently.
  • They require a greater degree of flexibility & strength in both hamstrings and lower back than what you can get away with on most saddles. If you've ever observed @ianrauk's (or indeed mine or Sonia's, for example) riding positions, you'll notice the common denominator is riding with a fairly flat back. This requires rotating the pelvis so that your weight rests on a different part of the "sit bones" than other saddles.
More info (in fact the definitive guide to using Selle SMP saddles) can be found on Steve Hogg's website.

These saddles don't work for everyone. But if they suit you, they are a godsend at removing all pressure from the fleshy bits that you shouldn't be resting your weight on!

Which model is best for you will depend on your anatomy (i.e. width between the relevant part of the sitbones - which is not necessarily the part that many bike fitters measure so won't be relevant for the SMP - Steve Hogg explains this very well) and how much padding you prefer.

I have used both the Extra and Hybrid as used by Ian. They are both a little too wide for me and I prefer much less padding - the Dynamic is perfect for me.

Sorry @Doyleyburger - as you were!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
@RoubaixCube
I don't want to hijack this thread but want to flag up, the Selle SMP saddles are different from other saddles in several ways other than looks:
  • They need to be set up on the bike differently.
  • They require a greater degree of flexibility & strength in both hamstrings and lower back than what you can get away with on most saddles. If you've ever observed @ianrauk's (or indeed mine or Sonia's, for example) riding positions, you'll notice the common denominator is riding with a fairly flat back. This requires rotating the pelvis so that your weight rests on a different part of the "sit bones" than other saddles.
More info (in fact the definitive guide to using Selle SMP saddles) can be found on Steve Hogg's website.

These saddles don't work for everyone. But if they suit you, they are a godsend at removing all pressure from the fleshy bits that you shouldn't be resting your weight on!

Which model is best for you will depend on your anatomy (i.e. width between the relevant part of the sitbones - which is not necessarily the part that many bike fitters measure so won't be relevant for the SMP - Steve Hogg explains this very well) and how much padding you prefer.

I have used both the Extra and Hybrid as used by Ian. They are both a little too wide for me and I prefer much less padding - the Dynamic is perfect for me.

Sorry @Doyleyburger - as you were!

Very informative. Thank you.

I currently run a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Saddle in my cube which has served me well for the dun run and my occasional ride with the Fridays paired with good padded shorts. Even better than my charge spoon the first time i went on a dun run.

Anyway. Carry on!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll just have to consider a lynsky in that case
They don't do it for me but fair enough. Fatbirds sell them (and lots of other brands)

The Sabbaths look good

You can get the Orient in other sizes, just not for £900 from PX

Last edited:

bianchi1

Guru
I have one. Still going strong after something like 14 years.

Im still waiting for mine!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Im still waiting for mine!

Oh dear. Are you still out of pocket? I was under the impression that Jim Walker undertook to honour Mr Reilly's unfulfilled orders. I think I was lucky, and that only a few frames came in after mine.

Think the next bike i buy (but not anytime soon) will be a ti - Lynskey R150 is my current favourite - but the sizing seems a bit odd - Usually I go for a 535 top tube - but its either 530 or 541 - normal advice if in doubt go smaller - but the Lynskey guide puts me on the 541. I want to be pretty sure before I hand over £2k+ Van nicholas do a very reasonably priced frame with a bang on 535 top tube - but its not quite as pretty as the Lynskey !!

Nothing is imminent though - need to get some pennies saved first !

bianchi1

Guru
Oh dear. Are you still out of pocket? I was under the impression that Jim Walker undertook to honour Mr Reilly's unfulfilled orders. I think I was lucky, and that only a few frames came in after mine.

Thanks in no small part to this excellent forum and the fact I paid the deposit on a credit card I got my cash back.......not including a trip to London to get "measured" for my custom bike and 6 months of bull sh*t and lies. I was one of the lucky ones, a lot of folk lost a great deal.

Top Bottom