Planet X Titanium frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flandrien

Frame came in today. She looks pretty! I was pleasantly surprised it has internal brake cabling as I always swear when cleaning the mud stuck between the brake hose and the downtube. I haven't tried it yet, but eyeballing and even measuring it, it seems 32mm tyres should fit.

Flandrien

Internal cabling? That's another difference between V1 & V2
Yep, and Planet X's website still shows pictures with external cable guides. Go figure. But I'm actually
glad the downtube part is internal, the rest of the trajectory over the chainstay remains external.

sicknewt

Regular
Frame came in today. She looks pretty! I was pleasantly surprised it has internal brake cabling as I always swear when cleaning the mud stuck between the brake hose and the downtube. I haven't tried it yet, but eyeballing and even measuring it, it seems 32mm tyres should fit.
Have you done any experiments with tyre sizes yet?

Flandrien

Have you done any experiments with tyre sizes yet?

I haven't built up the frame yet, but used the back wheel from my other disc bike, shod with Clement Strada Lgg 32mm, and it is a close call, but it does clear the frame. However, the wheel doesn't sit 100% straight in the frame and as such, the little rubber protrusions, which I guess are a remnant of the moulding of the rubber, hit the chainstay on one side, yet not on the other. I think this is shoddy QC from Planet X because it means the frame is not 100% straight. I'm sending it back. If your frame happened to be 100% straight, then you could put on a 32mm tryre, assuming your wheel is completely true, and it would clear the frame just enough not to hit the chainstays with the rubber threads on the side.

sicknewt

Regular
I haven't built up the frame yet, but used the back wheel from my other disc bike, shod with Clement Strada Lgg 32mm, and it is a close call, but it does clear the frame. However, the wheel doesn't sit 100% straight in the frame and as such, the little rubber protrusions, which I guess are a remnant of the moulding of the rubber, hit the chainstay on one side, yet not on the other. I think this is shoddy QC from Planet X because it means the frame is not 100% straight. I'm sending it back. If your frame happened to be 100% straight, then you could put on a 32mm tryre, assuming your wheel is completely true, and it would clear the frame just enough not to hit the chainstays with the rubber threads on the side.
Ok, ta. Hope you get another frame sorted...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Turn the wheel round first to check it's not just badly dished. If it is properly dished, the tyre will hit the frame on the same side as before. If it hits the frame on the other side, the wheel is (at least partly, possibly completely) at fault. Wheels are frequently out by a couple of millimetres.

sicknewt

Regular

Attachments

• IMG_20190217_150751.jpg
    IMG_20190217_150751.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 257
Top Bottom