Planet X Titanium frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flandrien

I think the only difference between V1 and V2 is the rear thru axle. As I have another bike with mudguards and good clearance, I would like to use the hurricane without mudguards, with 28 or 32 tyres, depending on the season. Which fork are you using on it? Planet X recommends a 38 a-c fork (Selcof), but they have a build themselves with the London Road fork, which is 39 a-c. I don't know if that would affect the steering much.

sicknewt

Regular
I messaged PX to ask about clearence. They said it will take 28mm tyres but didn't clarify if that was with or without mudguards...

Flandrien

I messaged PX to ask about clearence. They said it will take 28mm tyres but didn't clarify if that was with or without mudguards...

That's what I've got from them too. "It will take 28mm tyres of most brands." This made me think a 32mm type would not fit, even without guards. But I still would like to hear from someone they actually would.

Flandrien

That's what I've got from them too. "It will take 28mm tyres of most brands." This made me think a 32mm type would not fit, even without guards. But I still would like to hear from someone they actually would.
If anyone who has a Hurricane could measure or post a picture of the clearance between the chainstays, that would help.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As I said, I am running 25s

Chainstay. 28's will fit easy.

upload_2018-11-30_10-15-59.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's 1cm gap with the 25's.

I think 32's will fit...
However there's not much difference in ride quality between 28's and 32's anyway. So to not get a most wonderful frame because it might not take 32's is bonkers ^_^

Flandrien

Oh yes,
I'm using a Kinesis front fork

View attachment 440908

Ianrauk, thanks again for your valuable input! I know I seem obsessed with 32mm tires, but part of my training loops involve forest trails to connect longer road sections and about this time a year you start getting punctures on 28mms. If not, I would ride all year on 28mm types. And I would not want to buy a frame I love, but end up not being able to use it for a large part of the year.

Venod

Eh up
I know I seem obsessed with 32mm tires, but part of my training loops involve forest trails to connect longer road sections and about this time a year you start getting punctures on 28mms.

How is tyre width related to punctures ? in my experience tyres puncture whatever the width.

Flandrien

How is tyre width related to punctures ? in my experience tyres puncture whatever the width.

On road yes, on forest trails there are times of the year I do get punctures on 28s and not on 32s. Believe me, I have tried to get through on 28s, but mud, twigs, leaves, stones, splinters, wild chestnut husks, etc. get the better of them and eventually I end up with several flats a week until I switch to 32s. I haven't had a single puncture for two winters on my 32s.

Top Bottom