Police Pull Cyclist Over/ Interesting Watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I came across a police car in an ASL on Friday morning (didn't see if he entered it on a Red light or not).... I looked at the officer in the passenger seat, he looked at me, I looked down at the ASL... he knew what I was getting at. I turned away and didn't look at him again.
Thats all anyone needs to do to get their attention. The cyclist in the video could have just stopped besides the car and looked down or pointed to the bus lane and that would have been enough to get their attention.

Actually, it probably wouldnt have due to their lack of knowledge when they approached the cyclist.

snorri

Legendary Member
. They didn't look like they were on call/another job
I'm at a loss to understand how you have come to that conclusion.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I'm at a loss to understand how you have come to that conclusion.
The clear representation of going on a call is having flashing lights and sirens ablaze. They didnt, so one would generally assume that they are not acting as police officers but normal citizens.

A police vehicle/officer has to abide by the same laws as everyone else if they are not on a call and if there is not an emergency. If they are not signalling that there is an emergency, then they are classed as normal citizens and will be subject to the same punishment for law breaking as everyone else is.
If a police vehicle set a speed camera off when they were not responding to a call then the driver would get a fine and points on his license, just like everyone else who drives.

Laws are laws and police officers are not above them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
The clear representation of going on a call is having flashing lights and sirens ablaze. They didnt, so one would generally assume that they are not acting as police officers but normal citizens.

A police vehicle/officer has to abide by the same laws as everyone else if they are not on a call and if there is not an emergency. If they are not signalling that there is an emergency, then they are classed as normal citizens and will be subject to the same punishment for law breaking as everyone else is.
If a police vehicle set a speed camera off when they were not responding to a call then the driver would get a fine and points on his license, just like everyone else who drives.

Laws are laws and police officers are not above them.

You might find that emergency vehicles are exempt from certain laws, whether they are on an emergency call or not. One of the exemptions just happens to be bus lanes. Read the first part of this link for more info if you want it.

So the good citizen/weekend lawyer on the bike seems to have got it wrong. Perhaps he should have minded his own business from the outset of this incident and not ended up looking such a prat.

Thomk

Guru
You might find that emergency vehicles are exempt from certain laws, whether they are on an emergency call or not. One of the exemptions just happens to be bus lanes. Read the first part of this link for more info if you want it.

So the good citizen/weekend lawyer on the bike seems to have got it wrong. Perhaps he should have minded his own business from the outset of this incident and not ended up looking such a prat.

Brilliant!

That's the problem with being so self righteous. You've got to be a) correct and b) whiter than white.

apb

Veteran
I'm 100% sure I was cycling the other way when this happened. During my commute into work. It would of happened around 8:30 in the morning on the east end of Melville Drive.

Cubist

Still wavin'

Excellent link. However, the police officers could have handled it a little better by explaining this to the cyclist.

The cyclist on the other hand could have handled it better by stopping and having a proper conversation with the officers instead of remaining out of arm's reach and arguing petulantly.

I may also point out that the cop appears to be on the back foot a little, and I can understand why; In training we are taught how to deal with angry people, so much so that we have a particular training scenario called the "Violent Deranged Person" which teaches us how to overpower and disarm a person acting at the extremes of violence. The training scenario involves teams of three officers in full padded riot gear, armed with batons and equipped with polycarbonate riot shields. The VDP is dressed head to foot in padded armour, including a NATO helmet, and is armed with a baseball bat and various hammers etc. The scenario is literally "no holds barred" and ends when either the officers or the VDP call checkmate. In order to get him to call checkmate you have to attack him so hard he can feel it through the padding. He will be attempting to hit your helmet and pads with the baseball bat with such force as would break bones.

Why am I telling you this? It's because the officer has been trained to deal with VDP's and this is in fact a cakewalk in comparison with dealing with an ISF, better known as an "Indignant Squeaky F*ckknuckle."

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy

Muppet ill informed cyclist and ego hurt police officers. Which is what it all comes down to.
Bad mix

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Ok. Maybe overstepped on knowledge of fine handing out but again I stand by the fact they flouted the timings and it promoted other to do it as well. They should set the example. Sorry if this is too idealistic

AFAIK marked police vehicles are exempt from bus lane restrictions.

RiflemanSmith

I have total respect for the police except when it comes to any thing traffic related!
They get on my tits, think the rules of the road don't apply to them.
When they pull some one over then leave their vehicle not pulled in causing an obstruction slowing down traffic even more than the normal rubbernecking.
Like the other day crossing the road opposite my son's school an unmarked car turns right with out indicating.

dodgy

Helmet cam man strikes again. I bet he couldn't wait to get that on Youtube, initial frisson of excitement, then giggling to himself all the way home where his excited shakey hands struggle to plug it into his computer. Wiping the drool from his mouth he finally manages to upload it.

I cringe when I see stuff like this.

Partly because the cyclist clearly thought it was worthy of posting on Youtube... Why are some people so deeply unaware of how daft they look? I have the impression that this wasn't posted in some sort of humorous mood.

Partly also because a certain breed of fellow cyclist (fellow traveller?) finds something noble, just and heroic in this sort of masturbatory 'vigilante of smugness' wrongheadedness and puts the link up in fora like this....

There is something about some people that simply forces them to mug their heads off when they know they are being filmed (by themselves). The turnip in this clip is not unlike the goons who gurn behind OB takes on the News at Ten... apart from the fact that those guys know they look absurd and this chap thinks he's some sort of Captain Headcam, Hero of the A735 (and one or two minor roads he might find himself on when traffic conditions are suitable).

WHen I was a motorcycle courier (really, I was, I just never talk about it) one of our chaps was a bit of a racer and seeing a white, faired BMW in his vibrating mirrors, he gave it the beans on his RD350LC. Some miles later he observed the blue lights on this white Bimmer and pulled over. It was 1984. The first words from the police motorcyclist were "Have you always been a c**t?" It became folklore at my courier firm and the rider himself dined out on it...

How I wish regulations still allowed police officers to speak that way...

Top Bottom