Pork pie piffle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I watched a program with a piece about Melton Mowbray pies last year and thought about them for days.
Last year I spent a weekend away on my motorbike with some friends. The meeting point was north Lincolnshire - my starting point was south Oxfordshire. Melton Mowbray is almost exactly half way there, so I stopped at the Dickinson & Morris shop en route to pick a few up. Best ever!

The novelty is starting to wear off now with those frozen pork pies, they're no match for a fresh Melton Mowbray.
As to choccie, got some bars of Lindt at half price, very delicious, so that was lucky :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Last year I spent a weekend away on my motorbike with some friends. The meeting point was north Lincolnshire - my starting point was south Oxfordshire. Melton Mowbray is almost exactly half way there, so I stopped at the Dickinson & Morris shop en route to pick a few up. Best ever!

Four quid for what I don't doubt is a lovely 1lb pie looks fair value, but the £12.50 delivery charge kills it for home shopping.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Funny you should mention Dickinsons & Morris pies...

One accidentally jumped into my trolley while I was in Tesco yesterday. :whistle:

Handy intelligence.

Thanks.

Returning to recipes, I saw Gary Rhodes on the telly make a pork pie.

Seemed to be a lot of work, particularly pouring the jelly, which he said needed to be done several times over.

Even if I could emulate Rhodes' techniques it would take me several times as long, so in this instance I reckon buying a Dickinsons and Morris pie is the better solution.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Funny you should mention Dickinsons & Morris pies...

One accidentally jumped into my trolley while I was in Tesco yesterday. :whistle:
One thing they said in the shoppe was that they have the red-wrapped ones for sale around the country and the white-wrapped ones made just for sale in the shoppe.

I can still taste it now... and that was in September!

Mmmmm, well there is a direct train from Ely to Melton Mowbray... :becool:

Am really pleased to see the D&M pies in Tesco, because the deli counter has closed permanently and they had really lovely pork pies on the counter. Made by Walkers, IIRC. Absolutely gutted about that.

FYI, the D&M pie won a blind taste test on Eat Well For Less a couple of series back. Anything that wins a blind taste test on the show is always worth investigating.

A dish best served cold in my opinion.

I've had a couple of pies from an 'award winning' butcher in Bedale, north Yorkshire, but being warm seemed to add to the greasiness.

Neither did the clever flavours work for me.

My preference is a simple Melton Mowbray from the supermarket chiller with tomato ketchup.

Can't be that good if you need ketchup?

Adam4868

Guru
My daughter treated me to a tour of the Griffin brewery in Chiswick eighteen months ago. The guide told us that the brewery workers used to be given beer vouchers in their pay packets. These could be fed into a slot in a wall-mounted vending machine which dispensed a set volume of beer. Alas, Elf & Safety did for that wonderful idea. She said that the atmosphere at work was always very jolly.
I worked on site at the Matthew Brown brewery in Blackburn as a youngster and they had those machines there,where you put a token in and get beer ! Lethal...

battered

Guru
I worked for two weeks in Kipling Cakes and I'm the same xx(
which site? Carlton, Barnsley, or Stoke? I was there for 5 months last year, had I seen anyone dipping fingers in for a taste they would have been gone in less than half an hour. I've unfortunately had to sack a few for far less. I'm 30 years in food, I've heard the horror stories, never seen it. Multiple sites, multiple clients. I eat everything I've made, with the exception of stuff that's just crap. Tinned meatballs spring to mind. Yuk. Pork pies I love, the best mass manufacture ones come from Pork Farms Nottingham, look for NG 016 in the oval. However they look utterly disgusting while being made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom