Pork pie piffle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I went to Tesco early yesterday.
Noticed some "Tesco Finest" pork pies.
I was salivating......just managed to get through the checkout before ripping the pack open and shoving one in me gob. Very nice it were.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Because the filling shrinks when you cook it and you get an air gap. If you left that the pie would break up when transported, served or eaten.
Makes sense but the Tesco's best mini pork pies I got yesterday don't have any in.
I just had another one to be certain ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Cannot stand that yeuk jelly. Why do they shove that stuff inxx(
not all jelly is created equal... some is a tasteless fatty lump, whilst others are salty and wonderful.

If it's got a good jelly, it's worth bunging one in the microwave so the jelly saturates the pastry around the base... but that's the only time I'll heat a pork pie.

battered

Guru
Makes sense but the Tesco's best mini pork pies I got yesterday don't have any in.
I just had another one to be certain ^_^
Smaller pie, smaller shrinkage. You can get away with omitting the jelly fill. On the salt level, manufacturers have been driven by the retailers demanding salt reduction following consumer and media p ressure. That's why maufacturers reduce or omit the salt in the jelly. When I was at the pork pie factory and fancied one for my lunch, I used to add a little sprinkle of salt. Vast improvement.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I like my pies with a nice dab of home made chutney. :hungry:
This! Or some Branston pickle at the very least.

postman

Legendary Member
Vernon was the man for pork pies,he had a chart.I used to do a pie ride in his memory.Ilkley,Otley two there and Skipton,they had black pudding inside theirs.

Tribansman

Veteran
Love the sound of a pie ride! Best pie and peas I ever had was a large meat and potato from a bakers in Nelson. It was 90p, and that was only 15-ish years ago too, so insanely cheap.

I'd start in Wigan and sample Blackburn's, Accrington's (any tips @Accy cyclist ?), Nelson's and then pick up your route, @postman.

I wonder who'd win Pie of the Roses?

Top Bottom