Pork pie piffle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A downside to being an expat is missing certain things from back home, and one of my yearnings is pork pies - but no more. Recently discovered that they are available here at the malls, albeit frozen, and in the guise of a new brand to me - Stobarts. The packaging says 'Made in Yorkshire', so no doubt all you folk from oop north are familiar to it. Now I must say they are most delicious, and even Mrs Crank approves. She's often heard me mention this delicacy, and has finally had a taste for herself, but preferred hers warmed up in the microwave, my preference is cold.
Here's a pic of one I just consumed, and enjoying a cuppa now to wash it down:
1613814238313.jpeg

I prefer the next size up from these, as you get a better pastry/meat ratio, but beggars can't be choosers eh.

Another thing I miss is decent chocolate, and I recently found Ikea's own branded stuff, and what a find.
About the same price as a bar of Cadburys back there, and just as scrummy.
1613814344817.jpeg

I normally get back there twice a year, spring and autumn, but this will be the second Easter I have to miss.
Next to no chance of getting any choccy eggs here..........oh well.

I loves me a good Melton Mowbray pork pie!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'm a bit of a pie buff. That pork pie looks like it was sat on by fat barstard from Austin powers... i suppose its better than nothing. For me a Pat Gorman's Hand Raised Pork Pie is magnificent and up there with the best. A crunch to the pastry, crumbly with a nice well seasoned pork inside. Could you not bake your own?

byegad

Legendary Member
I worked for two weeks in Kipling Cakes and I'm the same xx(
Don't ask about crisp factories.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I knew a chap that worked for walkers crisp factory a number of years ago. He told me of the goings on there. To be honest, it never surprised me. I still ate them.

I'm a bit of a pie buff. That pork pie looks like it was sat on by fat barstard from Austin powers... i suppose its better than nothing. For me a Pat Gorman's Hand Raised Pork Pie is magnificent and up there with the best. A crunch to the pastry, crumbly with a nice well seasoned pork inside. Could you not bake your own?
I suppose I could bake my own, but being terminally lazy precludes this option. Ate two of them today as it happens, with a chopped up tomato - most satisfying.

PK99

Legendary Member
Those stories about someone working at factories and never eating this or that ever again - are they true? I've heard so many over the years, if I believed all of them I'd be living on only fresh air through fear :laugh:

In my case it was seeing the pigs arrive on the hoof and leave in the pies I found difficult.

The lamb tongue canning factory was another - handling and brining by the cwt every day, was enough to put anyone off.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Those stories about someone working at factories and never eating this or that ever again - are they true? I've heard so many over the years, if I believed all of them I'd be living on only fresh air through fear :laugh:

The cream and the jam vats were open at the top and everybody who passed dipped their fingers in for a lick, I kid you not.

Top Bottom