Presta Valves without lock nut

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Just an FYI as it's my thread, the dust caps were originally a final seal to assist incase the main seal had a slight weep. They all used to be fitted with a rubber O ring, which due to I suspect manufacturing costs they now seem to not have

Who are you calling a big ponce, you little ponce? :angry::angry::angry:
"a bit of" I said. :smile:

tho'

If you also leave water at home, or only take one bottle on a longish ride, another bit of.
and then beg water from me, another bit of
or carry a tiddly tiddly pump that looks great but won't actually work so borrow mine and then bust it, not recognising a real pump, a bit more
(above three all happened to me - twas a slippery slope when they started leaving the lock-nut off)

:smile:

I'm going to defend the locknut.

It stops the valve sinking into the rim when tube is deflated and I'm attaching the pump.

So there.
exactly - surely this happens to folk who leave them off? Or are they blessed in some special way?
To my horror I realised a while ago that I had bought two presta valve tubes that don't even have threads on the valve stem so I can't even add one of my spares - a right old pain they are.

I use valve caps just now on my to prolong the life of my more permanent tubeless valves. It's not really an issue with the tubes I previously used on the best bike. Although I use caps on the commuter which has tubes as the generally transition s between being in the car or the bus way, which can get gritty. As a result is cleaned less:blush:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
With a track pump?

I'm not a gibbon?

And why do that when there's a perfectly good lock nut on the valve stem?
I actively seek out inner tubes with unthreaded Presta valve stems - they are much kinder to push on chucks. You push down on the tyre with one hand and push the track-pump chuck on with the other. Once the chuck is attached you just inflate as usual. No hassle. And I throw the caps away. They protect the tube when folded, but unnecessary otherwise - and there is the weight penalty of course.

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I actively seek out inner tubes with unthreaded Presta valve stems - they are much kinder to push on chucks. You push down on the tyre with one hand and push the track-pump chuck on with the other. Once the chuck is attached you just inflate as usual. No hassle. And I throw the caps away. They protect the tube when folded, but unnecessary otherwise - and there is the weight penalty of course.
"Weight penalty" :laugh:

Pick your nose before a ride, it'll probably have much the same effect in terms of weight reduction :rolleyes:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
You push down on the tyre with one hand and push the track-pump chuck on with the other.

I like to have my valves at the base of the wheel. As I attach the chuck this provides the necessary resistance without having to push the valve up from the opposite side.

I've always understood having the valve in this position, plus the nut, helps minimise the valve rocking during inflation.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Always use the lock ring.

Locates the valve nice and straight when changing a tube, and makes it easier to use a push on pump, which most track pumps are.

Exactly my reasoning. I always use the dust caps as well as I think they look smarter than a naked valve.

Dust caps must have a purpose or else manufacturers would have dumped them long ago. I suspect the clue is in the name!!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Dust caps must have a purpose or else manufacturers would have dumped them long ago. I suspect the clue is in the name!!
- they protect the tube when packed and folded before use. I always keep them on the spare tubes I carry for this reason. Dust caps on Schrader valves I understand, but not needed on Presta.

Top Bottom