Prettiest CX bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
More than one chainring doesn't make sense to me on a CX bike. But then I race singlespeed - and for good looks, you can't beat the purity of singlespeed...

There are those occasions when your RD is borked, and you have at least a two speed option :smile:

Altho when your RD is borked it's usually because it's been ripped off :smile:

VamP

Banned
Yeah it's a titanium ring. They have one in TFG / Kinoko in London on display. I asked a chap who worked there if it made any contribution to the handling and he glibly said: 'no'!

Steel frame tho, no? I'd worry the titanium ring would make annoying noises. I avoid titanium railed saddles for that reason.

Howard

It's steel, yes. And I agree it's probably to be avoided - even TFG didn't do a good job of selling it to me.

VamP

Banned
Depends on context. I've used both rings in CX sportives. Vos' rig above has two rings and it doesn't slow her down - but broadly for the weekend warrior, a single ring is probably a good idea if only for simplicity's sake.

But agreed there are some very pretty SS crossers.

It's a question of courses. Local leagues are usually never (rarely) in fast enough terrain to need a big ring, but the international races often have a section or two on tarmac, where the big ring is a necessity. Also I have a mate who spends most of his time in a 44 - just prefers the grind I guess - even on boggy muddy days. He's fast though so we'll forgive him :smile:

Howard

I know a couple of guys who run a single 44t ring and a 12-26. Madness.

But winning madness.

Howard

New X-Fire is pretty(er)
8794103895_305820798b_c.jpg

VamP

Banned
Bamboo cross anyone?

sea_otter_2013P1030856_JPG.jpg

Howard

Yep that's been up. Price reflects quality of the frame and components. I'd quite like one but availability is really poor right now.

Howard

Apparently no, it won't - they are gearing up for the 2014 models. You could try dropping CSG a line though, get the word from the horses mouth so to speak?

I think I've seen just one new 'dale cross bike in a showroom this year - they seem to have been quite unwilling to commit any CX stock. I suspect, given the amount of SuperX and CAADX that went heavily discounted over the last couple of years they've had a bit of a 'mare with crossers in the UK.

Top Bottom