Prettiest CX bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

Vos' bike has huge saddle-bar drop in comparison. Think I prefer the Giant to the Orbea - not quite sure why they'd run an external battery too - guess they must be pretty weatherproof. Interesting that both seem to be using SPDs.

VamP

Banned
Vos' bike has huge saddle-bar drop in comparison. Think I prefer the Giant to the Orbea - not quite sure why they'd run an external battery too - guess they must be pretty weatherproof. Interesting that both seem to be using SPDs.

mm I prefer the TCX too. The Orbea just has a lot of useful/less shapes. And clearly wasn't designed to run Di2, with all those riveted RD cable holders down the side.
I don't know what those Orbea designer folks were thinking...

contrast with Helen Wyman's bike - pure sex

wyman-kona-Kona-Major-Jake-CX-bike.jpg

I'd love one of these, but my bank balance (and my marriage) wouldn't stand the strain...still an absolute beauty to look at...DROOL.:wub:.

0015801_focus_mares_cx_10_rapha_cyclocross_bike_2013.jpeg
You can drool all you want until you get a crack in it as most of the Focus bikes seem a little brittle
Whatever turns you on. I'll bet your wife would be more worried about the pink bar tape!
And the cost to replace the frame when it cracks- Most Focus owners I know have suffered from Open Wallet Syndrome as a result

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If it cracked during normal use and not during a crash, then Focus shouldn't be charging for a replacement, it should be considered a manufacturing defect and thus replaced under warranty.

Howard

I'm considering 1 * 10 with a retroshifter for the coming season. Won't be pretty but will be light and bombproof, fingers crossed.

VamP

Banned
I am somewhat considering it too. It's pretty rare for me to enagage big ring in races, probably less than 2% of the time.

Howard

Yeah - I know I'm doing well if I'm in the 44t ring and not cross-chaining it. Thinking a 38 tooth with a 12-28.

Interesting looking Gravel Grinder from Tonic Fab:

tonic-fab-tushar-crusher-9.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm considering 1 * 10 with a retroshifter for the coming season. Won't be pretty but will be light and bombproof, fingers crossed.
I am somewhat considering it too. It's pretty rare for me to enagage big ring in races, probably less than 2% of the time.

More than one chainring doesn't make sense to me on a CX bike. But then I race singlespeed - and for good looks, you can't beat the purity of singlespeed...

VamP

Banned
Yeah - I know I'm doing well if I'm in the 44t ring and not cross-chaining it. Thinking a 38 tooth with a 12-28.

Interesting looking Gravel Grinder from Tonic Fab:

tonic-fab-tushar-crusher-9.jpg

Looks cool, but weirdly worrying seatstay connecting piece.

Howard

Yeah it's a titanium ring. They have one in TFG / Kinoko in London on display. I asked a chap who worked there if it made any contribution to the handling and he glibly said: 'no'!

Howard

More than one chainring doesn't make sense to me on a CX bike. But then I race singlespeed - and for good looks, you can't beat the purity of singlespeed...

Depends on context. I've used both rings in CX sportives. Vos' rig above has two rings and it doesn't slow her down - but broadly for the weekend warrior, a single ring is probably a good idea if only for simplicity's sake.

But agreed there are some very pretty SS crossers.

Top Bottom