Proof positive that wearing headphones while cycling is dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was cycling today while listening to a podcast with a headphone in my left ear. I hit black ice, came down hard. My headphone came out of my ear, the memory wire "hook" wrapped around the spoke and the wheel turned a few more revolutions. The damage was terrible, but could have been totally avoided if I hadn't been wearing headphones:

IMG_20141206_195146587 (1).jpg

I hope the kids will take note and not repeat my mistake.

(Edit) Disclaimer: This post is meant to be humorous.:laugh:

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I don't know if it's just me, but I can't really work out what happened.

Reactions: mjr

Recycle

Über Member
The damage was terrible, but could have been totally avoided if I hadn't been wearing headphones:
My apologies if the OP was a intentional p!ss-take but the much repeated mantra "anecdotal evidence is not evidence" bears repeating yet again, regardless of whether the anecdote is 100% factual or not.

My apologies if the OP was a intentional p!ss-take but the much repeated mantra "anecdotal evidence is not evidence" bears repeating yet again, regardless of whether the anecdote is 100% factual or not.

Mankind and the World progressed largely as result of anecdotal evidence that had some level of decent deductive reasoning. Relying on fence sitters looking for official certification of evidence for minor and non-critical things serves no one.

Naturally on serious matters such as medicine, science and public prosecution the rigour for proper certifiable evidence is perfectly under stable.

Here is an example of anecdotal evidence that most people will rely on - "I heard from the neighbour and my cousin that the High street after Tesco and heading north has black ice at this time of the year". Do we ignore and go full tilt at usual?

Recycle

Über Member
Mankind and the World progressed largely as result of anecdotal evidence that had some level of decent deductive reasoning. Relying on fence sitters looking for official certification of evidence for minor and non-critical things serves no one.
So perhaps we should also ban ties as they can be caught in the spokes and strangle the cyclist, or shoelaces, or loose clothing. Perhaps we should all just cycle naked?

So perhaps we should also ban ties as they can be caught in the spokes and strangle the cyclist, or shoelaces, or loose clothing. Perhaps we should all just cycle naked?

Referring to the subject of anecdotal evidence. Not what OP wrote.

Note comment about deductive reasoning ( read common sense )

Recycle

Über Member
Note comment about deductive reasoning ( read common sense )
Common sense is that collection of prejudices that we have accumulated by the age of 18 - Albert Einstein.

Almost anything we do carries some sort of risk. Life is uncertain. That uncertainty is measured in micromorts and if you are going to prove that something is dangerous, you need to demonstrate that the activity raises the risk above anything else you do day to day.

You can't compare the anecdote in the OP, which doesn't rule out coincidence or bad luck, to a warning of black ice, which carries a near certainty of coming off the bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom