"Proper cyclists"; give it a rest!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
it's just one of those things that 'gear freaks' do... they spend as much time reading about 'gear' as they do shopping for 'gear', and spend too much time talking about how great their choices of 'gear' are.

A few years ago i went for a walk up Castle Crag with a couple of mates. One, a total 'gear freak' couldn't believe that i wore jeans instead of 'proper walking pants' from Mountain fecking Warehouse or wherever he'd bought his 'proper walking pants' from. Great bloke but by the twentieth time he'd expressed how he couldn't believe that i'd gone for a walk with the wrong pants on... i really was getting tempted to push him off the crag.

Its been going on for years - I had the dubious privilege of being sent to boarding school in the Lake District back in 80's. On a Sunday afternoon we were booted outside to amuse ourselves. One activity was to go for a walk up one of the near by Fells. Often we would get to the top, dressed basically in school uniform to meet groups of "proper" walkers kited out head to toe in correct hiking kit !

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
The one thing guaranteed to put me off cycling is the ever increasing number of comments from supposed cycling buddies referring to my refusal to conform to what they see as "proper cyclists".

So why do the weekend warriors with all the kit feel that they are being helpful by suggesting that I would benefit from their advice regarding what I wear on a bike?

Here's one American's opinion. One of the man rules over here is NOT to remark about what another man is wearing. One would not say to another man "Nice pants" nor "Bad pants". Women definitely remark about each others clothing which is why men don't.

However, just because it's not said to the person doesn't mean it's not thought of and perhaps mentioned afterwards when the person has left. I think the name used is a "Fred" for someone who doesn't have the right kit or gear or can't ride in a straight line as compared to socially accepted norms.

classic33

Leg End Member
Here's one American's opinion. One of the man rules over here is NOT to remark about what another man is wearing. One would not say to another man "Nice pants" nor "Bad pants". Women definitely remark about each others clothing which is why men don't.

However, just because it's not said to the person doesn't mean it's not thought of and perhaps mentioned afterwards when the person has left. I think the name used is a "Fred" for someone who doesn't have the right kit or gear or can't ride in a straight line as compared to socially accepted norms.
What's the right kit or gear though?
Question based on minimalist approach shown in avatar.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
What's the right kit or gear though?
Question based on minimalist approach shown in avatar.

Well, having MTB pedals on a road bike would be an example. Wearing swim trunks on a club ride would be another. Done together and with another faux pas like blowing snot on the road with riders behind you would probably make one a "Fred".

Like many on this forum, I'm a non-conformist and avatar was a picture from a summer triathlon here in Georgia. At 61, caring less and less about what others think.

Jaykun85

I wouldn't count myself as a proper cyclist.
But i do wear lycra, Reason being that i find it much more comfortable on the long rides. Cotton clothing like t-shirt and pants just got very uncomfortable. Since eating the lycra my rides where pleasant and never had a problem, even when i get soaked in rain downpours.
Helmet i always wear the bike. Mod Edit: This bit has been trimmed as it is likely to kick off another helmet debate. This thread is the place for your thoughts on the efficacy or otherwise of helmets.

But i just like to get out and cycle.

Who cares what you wear as long as you are comfortable and enjoying yourself thats all that matters :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
I wouldn't count myself as a proper cyclist.
But i do wear lycra, Reason being that i find it much more comfortable on the long rides. Cotton clothing like t-shirt and pants just got very uncomfortable. Since eating the lycra my rides where pleasant and never had a problem, even when i get soaked in rain downpours.
Helmet i always wear the bike. Mod Edit: This bit has been trimmed as it is likely to kick off another helmet debate. This thread is the place for your thoughts on the efficacy or otherwise of helmets.

But i just like to get out and cycle.

Who cares what you wear as long as you are comfortable and enjoying yourself thats all that matters :smile:
You eat lycra.
What was wrong with just wearing it?

Last edited:
camilo_spiderman_1.jpg

Most golfers have two legs the same length

Next valley over. "Happy Valley" where they found the body in the flat!

I frequently stop at the Tesco at North Harbour

They have found a badly decomposed body in the undergrowth

I hate to think how many times I have cycled past this poor individual or stood within a few feet filling up the car

Last edited:
The main use for helmets is to shut up the A&E staff asking if you've whacked your head. Lying on the road with a broken back - "how's your head" - "it's not my head it's my back !!! - Look there is my helmet, not a mark on it".
I attended a study day And the subject was "evidence based practice "

One of the lecturers was a casualty nurse and a coffee break decided to have a go at a young lad who had cycled in without a helmet

I asked her what her evidence was as she stated it was common sense

So I asked her whether she was using the disputed works of Rivara and Thompson and she had never heard of them

Which led to the situation where alecturer on evidence based practice was giving "professional advice" yet didn't need evidence in the case of helmets as it was "common sense"

She was rather unhappy when I asked if this rather undermined her stance that professional practice should be based on evidence

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well, having MTB pedals on a road bike would be an example. Wearing swim trunks on a club ride would be another. Done together and with another faux pas like blowing snot on the road with riders behind you would probably make one a "Fred".

Like many on this forum, I'm a non-conformist and avatar was a picture from a summer triathlon here in Georgia. At 61, caring less and less about what others think.

I have MTB pedals on all my bikes including the road bike ^_^

Top Bottom