Puncture day today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

So, I have been doing 14 miles a day since I was furloughed from work, so far that's just over 500 miles done in 5 weeks...

All was going well until I had a puncture in the front wheel :sad: mind you can't complain, on 3rd in two years of having my bike (touch wood) and it was the front wheel so an easy fix....

Then again all the loose stones on the country lanes I am not surprised...

Reactions: DSK

DSK

That's very good going considering we have to ride in the gutter compared to other traffic.

What tyres are you running?

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I use the country lanes around the village, very little traffic but they are not well maintained, badly filled pot holes and covered with stones that have washed down across the road, and I mean loads of stones so I am amazed that I have done so well..

The tyres are just the standard Scwalbe Smart Sam tyres that came with the bike but I think when I do changed the tyres either when they wear out or if I do get a lot of punctures I may go the Smart Sam Plus or Marathon Greenguard route, but more puncture protection.

Can't do tubeless as the wheels are not compatible, although 3 in 2 years is not a major issue as long as it stays that way lol

Scwalbe do not do a 700 x 42C now so may drop to 38 or 40 as I use it just on roads..

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I like punctures - well not in the dark or wet or on the way to work, but I find it a good excuse for a breather. And quite rewarding locating the puncture and sometimes re-patching it on the roadside or replacing the tube. With the satisfaction that there is no PF that is going to stop me from completing a ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I like punctures - well not in the dark or wet or on the way to work, but I find it a good excuse for a breather. And quite rewarding locating the puncture and sometimes re-patching it on the roadside or replacing the tube. With the satisfaction that there is no PF that is going to stop me from completing a ride.
I think 'like' is pushing it dear chap. :laugh:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Only thing I am looking at now is a Co2 inflator... the mini pump did the job but 1. it knackers you more than riding :smile: and 2. the pressure was not high enough really even after what seemed like loads of "pumps".. but it was OK riding..

For my size/weight I run at 65PSi when I got back home and checked the pressure it was 25PSi even though it felt quite hard...

BigMeatball

So far I've done a bit more than 700km in 6 months, no punctures yet.

I risked it most of the time as I bought 3 spare inner tubes (buy 2 get 1 free kind of deal) just a couple of weeks ago. I thought I had jinxed it after buying the tubes and would get a puncture at the first ride out, but so far so good.

I want to go tubeless but now I have to wait until I use up the tubes :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Only thing I am looking at now is a Co2 inflator... the mini pump did the job but 1. it knackers you more than riding :smile: and 2. the pressure was not high enough really even after what seemed like loads of "pumps".. but it was OK riding..

For my size/weight I run at 65PSi when I got back home and checked the pressure it was 25PSi even though it felt quite hard...
Get a proper long mini pump like a Lezyne Road Drive medium/long

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I carry two tubes, a mini tool kit and a bot of patches in a saddle back..

The last one happened just as I was getting home so I walked and did it at home, only about 200 yards ... that was bad luck.

As I say state of the lanes I am amazed I don's get one everytime (now that has tempted fate)

Road on a good day... As you can see loads of stones most in the centre but they get all over..

Mike_P

Guru
With one exception all my punctures recently have been close to home so opted to wheel the bike and fix at leisure
After using the road bike for a brief period for commutes on litter full cyclepaths it's still got slime filled tyres on it.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

With one exception all my punctures recently have been close to home so opted to wheel the bike and fix at leisure
After using the road bike for a brief period for commutes on litter full cyclepaths it's still got slime filled tyres on it.

This one I was about 3 miles from home so I thought sod it, front wheel so not bad to do and I could complete the ride.. I did another 6 miles then before heading home :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster.. Is this the one https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/hand-pumps-high-pressure-road/products/1-mp-rddr-v2l04

Would you recommend one of those over a Co2 set up?

The one I have is Topeak one and as I say after loads of pumps and it was OK to ride there was only 25PSi when I checked it..

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/mini-pumps/242-mini-dual-dx
Yep, forget those silly little ones.
I did buy CO2 but have never used it. Seems a bad option environmentally to me

Top Bottom