Puncture day today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
I use the country lanes around the village, very little traffic but they are not well maintained, badly filled pot holes and covered with stones that have washed down across the road, and I mean loads of stones so I am amazed that I have done so well..

The tyres are just the standard Scwalbe Smart Sam tyres that came with the bike but I think when I do changed the tyres either when they wear out or if I do get a lot of punctures I may go the Smart Sam Plus or Marathon Greenguard route, but more puncture protection.

Can't do tubeless as the wheels are not compatible, although 3 in 2 years is not a major issue as long as it stays that way lol

Scwalbe do not do a 700 x 42C now so may drop to 38 or 40 as I use it just on roads..

I had some WTB tyres, I had a couple of flats on them , I got some Smart SAM’s in now , no punctures , less road noise and better MPH ,
Very happy with them 😉

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Mine are the version of Smart Sam they supply to cycle manufacturers, they have a lower thread count to "off the shelf" versions... The Smart Sam Plus has the protection band so may be the way to go next time for me..

ozboz

Guru
Mine are the version of Smart Sam they supply to cycle manufacturers, they have a lower thread count to "off the shelf" versions... The Smart Sam Plus has the protection band so may be the way to go next time for me..

I’m not sure if I’ve got normal or plus , it doesn’t say plus so I reckon they are normal , I got the pair off Planet X for about £25 , so happy with that , when I get to go bike packing I’m going to put a very hard vynil/rubber roofing product , a new product for flat roofing projects , it’s about 2.5mm thick I’ll cut it into 28 mm strips and adhere them to the tyre hope fully giving extra protection, also going to make some larger pieces to wrap around tube and line tyre incase of bad tear in the tyre walls

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

The new Lezyne Road Drive pump arrived today, at last... went for the large one and it looks quite good on the bike as well :smile:

Ordered from Wiggle last Thursday and it should have been delivered Friday, Hermes had it, and it kept saying at the local depot, then delayed for 24 hours! did this every day since and nobody will explain why, even the girl that delivered it did not know...

I also ordered an Amazon item Saturday which they said would be delivered today... Hermes again said it was delayed but it did turn up today...

They will use COVID-19 as a excuse I expect... at least it's here and has a much better stroke than the old one..

One thing I did notice when swapping them over was Evans seem to have cross threaded one of the bolts! It is mounted on the down tube below the water bottle carrier, the top bolt went in and out perfect (greased when put back in) the bottom one went so far in then stopped even though both bolts were the same size .. even tried one of the bolts out the seat tube same result :sad:

With the new pump it needed to be tighter so a couple of small washers under the head sorted that, could cut it down I suppose but OK for now :smile:

Happy with the purchase thanks for all the advise..

Not been on much over the weekend... furlough means jobs around the house lol :smile: hate painting... and it looks like end of July before I go back... more miles on the bike...

One other thing, the item from Wiggle is for PRESTA VALVES only not both ;) one end screws on the valve and the other is push fit...

Stuart

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I’m not sure if I’ve got normal or plus , it doesn’t say plus so I reckon they are normal , I got the pair off Planet X for about £25 , so happy with that , when I get to go bike packing I’m going to put a very hard vynil/rubber roofing product , a new product for flat roofing projects , it’s about 2.5mm thick I’ll cut it into 28 mm strips and adhere them to the tyre hope fully giving extra protection, also going to make some larger pieces to wrap around tube and line tyre incase of bad tear in the tyre walls

I think the "Smart Sam Plus" have that on the sidewall, mine just say "Smart Sam" :smile:

Top Bottom