Puncture day today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Country roads around our area have recently been resurfaced. I say resurfaced in the broadest term, as this is a horrible stony finish, which is poured out of the back of a tanker. I think it is mixed with hot water? Nasty to ride on.

Anyway, after 15 miles riding on this last night, I had just gotten to a smooth section of road when my tyre blew out (complete with puff of chalk dust)!

20200520_192257 (2).jpg

Couldn't put in the new inner tube, so had to call my daughter to pick me up!

What i forgot to add, was I carry CO2. But also a Lezyne pump, which is brilliant!

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Another vote for the Road Drive, better get one ordered :smile:

They have been "patching" the roads around here, it is a right mess, as you say one or two in a lorry and they spray it, like a patchwork quilt, higher than the original road and the pot holes are starting to come back already and that is after 2 weeks... just a mass of tar, stone and blue chippings..

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I rode 80km this morning and had 3 punctures on my front wheel. I rarely have punctures. Here is a lesson you can learn.

I changed my front tyre last night for a different brand I had in the bike. I also changed it from a 25c to a 28c. My 3 punctures came in the last 10km. I couldnt find a hole in the tyre or tube.

When it went for the 3rd time I had just braked. I have calipers not disks. I was only 5km from home and Jannie rescued me in the car. The first time ever.
On careful inspection the bottom edge of my brake block was rubbing the tyre. I couldnt feel it. In the end it sliced my tyre at the bead and so I couldnt fit a boot.

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm usually riding 4-5000 miles a year, usually one or two punctures a year, a few weeks ago two punctures in one ride, couldn't do anything with the last one so rode the last ten miles on the flat back tyre, that makes three punctures already this year, I clipped a raised manhole cover early in the year and got a snake bite.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Will not open for me if I click on it from here.. Will if I copy the link and paste it... very strange

Globalti

Legendary Member
Country roads around our area have recently been resurfaced. I say resurfaced in the broadest term, as this is a horrible stony finish, which is poured out of the back of a tanker. I think it is mixed with hot water? Nasty to ride on.

Anyway, after 15 miles riding on this last night, I had just gotten to a smooth section of road when my tyre blew out (complete with puff of chalk dust)!

View attachment 523868

Couldn't put in the new inner tube, so had to call my daughter to pick me up!

That's top-dressing. Highways engineers are obsessed with skid-resistance so they spray a tar emulsion on the road then spread a layer of granite chips. Motorists do the job of compacting it while the emulsion dries. If it's not done right, in the right weather it fails and the chips wear off and we all know what happens then.

A tyre boot might have got you home, just a piece of plastic inside the tyre.

Top Bottom