Puncture proof tyres?? Any good??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And.....it's all kicking off :laugh:
Careful! People in covfefe houses shouldn't throw covfefe.

Back to the OP: I've use Marathon Plus but they do feel stiff to me so I use just ordinary Marathon on the rear wheel of my bike where the wheel is hard to remove (hub braked hub gear) and that's not yet punctured in months of winter/spring/summer riding. Mostly I prefer a more comfortable ride even if it means fixing a puncture every month or two, so I go for Kevlar- containing tyres like Delta Cruisers on my roadster and hybrids. I think they're the right mix of price against toughness.

All air filled tyres are only puncture resistant at best, though.

GoMild

Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Online shops for £25-£30. My main & folding bikes are both kitted with it. Extra weight and stiffness like others said, but will make your journeys exceedingly reliable. Trading off performance for hustle-free experience.

XC26

Marathon Plus on nearly all our family regular/workhorse bikes now. Used to get about a 2 punctures per month before switching to M Plus. They're a bit heavy but roll OK and seem to last for ages before wearing out. Now getting less than one puncture per year. Indeed, I can't remember when I last had to deploy the repair kit. I don't even bother to dodge broken glass anymore (a familiar feature of cycle paths).

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
keep the tyres pumped up and any kevlar-lined road tyre shouldn't give you too many problems. i've been running vittoria rubinio pros on my 64km commute and had only a couple of punctures. looking at the terrain in front also helps...

Bought the Marathon Pluses thinking punctures a thing of the past. First ride. Had my first puncture in years thanks to a thorn from a farmers recent hedge cut. Ah well !

XC26

Remind me not to travel on an aeroplane with you.

keithmac

Guru
I use CST Safety+ and they've ridden over a fair amount of glass without issue.

Hawthorns will take motorcycle tyres out quite easily so no shame in getting a puncture from one of those!.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
keep the tyres pumped up and any kevlar-lined road tyre shouldn't give you too many problems. i've been running vittoria rubinio pros on my 64km commute and had only a couple of punctures. looking at the terrain in front also helps...
It's worth picking shoot out of the tyres occasionally, as it can get hammered through eventually.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I'd highly recommend the regular Schwalbe Marathons. They are plenty puncture resistant, and a bit cheaper then the Marathon Pluses, and I think are a bit nicer to ride with in terms of road feel.

I've run these on a few different bikes, and currently have a Marathon on the front of my tourer/commuter and a Marathon Plus on the back (this was an experiment but when it wears out I'm planning on replacing with a regular Marathon).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Marathon Original Greenguard, like @mjr said.
Cheaper that Marathon+, a bit lighter, glass and pothole proof.

EDIT: was too slow in posting there, Chris beat me lol

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I quite like a Conti Gatorskin Hardshell.
My Vittoria Open Corsa CX also seem quite resistant, when pumped up hard.

If you are unlucky enough to get a thorn well embedded in a puncture resistant tyre it's a pig of a job getting it out especially at the side of the road on a pouring wet dark night in November.
It's best to also carry something to use as a tyre boot so that you can continue on your way without the risk of a stuck thorn repuncturing the tube.

Top Bottom