Punctures (3 of them!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucklesspedestrian

So, out on the Raleigh Motus eBike on Sunday (my birthday incidentally) and got a front tyre puncture on rural roads in Perthshire (lots of farm tracks, blown down tree debris, single track, having to cut over to let cars pass etc)

Got home, pulled a bloody great thorn out, replaced the inner tube then discovered my back tyre was also flat, pulled the thorn out of that, bought another inner tube, had an unusual (for me) attack of common sense and checked the tyre for any other thorns (if there's 2 there could be 3!), and sure enough, there was another one in there which would have knackered my new 2nd inner tube, etc etc.

So, today, a friend intimated that there is a product out there that will seal and inflate a puncture allowing the rider to get home at the very least (I had to suffer the ignominy of phoning the wife to come and get me). Is there any such product like that that the good folks here would recommend??

Thanks in advance as always!

ps: I'm, not going on that road again (Glenalmond to Keillour!)

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, you could fit Slime inner tubes.
Quite heavy, but they work, well mostly.
I had a flat on a rarely used bike, when I decided to fix the inner tube I couldn't find the puncture, the tube was inflating, staying inflated.
After a while, I realized I was trying to fix a Slime tube: it had self healed :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
If you've got removable valve cores. Get 'Orange endurance sealant'. Inject 100mil into each innertube. This will deal with vast majority of thorn/flint punctures :okay:.

better still go tubeless and have smooth rolling puncture less system

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get tyre liners - some are better than others (Decathlon's are good). Other option is tougher tyres. I suffered loads of thorn punctures along one stretch of the canal on my commute in the Autumn (due to hedge cutting) and the summer tyres just didn't hold up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I carry one of those squirty tins with me if I'm ever taking my Brompton out into the wilds away from handy buses and trains in case of a puncture. I've never used it, mind, so I don't know if it's any good. I guess you need to take the valve core out first?

In addition to a couple of spare tubes, a pack of instant patches in your on-bike kit should be a good remedy against needing to be picked up - in case you get more punctures than you have spares.

GuyBoden

Guru
I got a new pair of Marathon+ tyres in Sept and I've had two punctures from hawthorn cuttings, the farmers have been out cutting the hedges in recent months, that's nothing new for this time of the year, but maybe, the hawthorns are particularly sharp or tough this year. My wife had a hawthorn puncture on Sunday's ride, Marathon+ tyres too.

I find that the centre strip of Vittoria Randonneur tyres to be more resistant to thorns than Marathon+ tyres, but their sidewalls seem weaker.

I've had slime innertubes, they work fine.

Currently, five slime innertubes are £33 at Amazon:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-Smart-Healing-28-32-Presta/dp/B00V2DR0MU/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1A6BRO6JCNH24&keywords=slime+inner+tube+700&qid=1639570778&s=sports&sprefix=slime+inner+%2Csports%2C170&sr=1-7

Last edited:

Fredo76

Über Member
You have hawthorns; we have goat-heads, aka puncturevine, and aptly named. When I finally changed my front tire due to a bulge, I found dozens of punctures that Slime had sealed. Durning one period where I was pumping up my tires before every ride, I discovered that my tires were out of Slime! When I added some more, the need to pump up before every ride went away! Make sure your new inner tubes have removable valve cores, then you can add sealant yourself.

I also spent many hours weeding the sides of my street at the end of this summer. Neighbors would drive by and look at me like I was nuts, but I got rid of maybe ten or twenty thousand almost-formed future goat-heads just in time this year, at the end of summer, when the tiny yellow flowers give them away, before the little green dingle-balls dry out into the caltrop-like thorns, and fall off.

Goat-heads are evil, and also aptly named. ;)

Alex321

Veteran
I carry one of those squirty tins with me if I'm ever taking my Brompton out into the wilds away from handy buses and trains in case of a puncture. I've never used it, mind, so I don't know if it's any good. I guess you need to take the valve core out first?

I think you would - but can you? Not all inner tubes come with valves with removable cores. Won't be too useful out on the road if you find you can't remove the cores from yours.

Top Bottom