Quick rear derailleur question :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all!
Will my Tiagra rear take a 11/34 cassette, fitted now is an 11/30, triple set up.
Don't want to click "buy" before consulting CC. £ 12.95 from Wiggle is ok, isn't it?
I'll be away from the computer for a bit, so thanks in advance for the answers :smooch:

lutonloony

Über Member
Think it depends on cage size, but sure the experts will give proper answers

lutonloony

Über Member
As you're running 30 on the back already, you've either gor a medium or long cage mech on there, so a 34 will be ok. You will need a longer chain though.
Would question that as shimano 105 can be "squeezed" to 30 even though spec'd at 28. ( but in fairness haven't checked Tiagra spec)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
What are you planning to climb @Pat "5mph" , a 34T with a triple chain wheels will let you climb a vertical wall but it will be very very slow, you might be better going for a 32T, I have 11-32 with double chain wheels and it is more than adequate for the very hilly terrain round these parts.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Would question that as shimano 105 can be "squeezed" to 30 even though spec'd at 28. ( but in fairness haven't checked Tiagra spec)
SS - Short Cage Road Double - Maximum Cassette Cog is 27 and Total Capacity is 29

GS - Medium Cage MTB/Road Triple - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/27(Road) and Total Capacity is 33(MTB)/37(Road)

SGS - Long MTB - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

from here

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The RD-4700-GS will take a 34. That's the latest mech.

lutonloony

Über Member
SS - Short Cage Road Double - Maximum Cassette Cog is 27 and Total Capacity is 29

GS - Medium Cage MTB/Road Triple - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34(MTB)/27(Road) and Total Capacity is 33(MTB)/37(Road)

SGS - Long MTB - Maximum Cassette Cog is 34 and Total Capacity is 45

from here
Shimano ss 27? I am running 28 ( as fitted from new, and many posts reckon I can do 30. Maybe I missed the specific on post about it being Tiagra?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
As you're running 30 on the back already, you've either gor a medium or long cage mech on there, so a 34 will be ok. You will need a longer chain though.
Cheers amore bello, I have 6 new extra chain links already, buy will buy another chain just in case.
Fitted a new chain yesterday, but on today's commute it was skipping allover the low gears ^_^ so will stop using this bike until I get the new cassette.
Or I could use one of @potsy's bikes, they are all brand new :tongue:
Thanks very much for the info @Andy_R.
What are you planning to climb @Pat "5mph" , a 34T with a triple chain wheels will let you climb a vertical wall but it will be very very slow, you might be better going for a 32T, I have 11-32 with double chain wheels and it is more than adequate for the very hilly terrain round these parts.

Shimano have made the mechs cope with more teeth as the models have progressed.

With a triple you are going to need a long cage. What's the front granny ring size.
Model: RD 4601 H1
Chain rings: 26/36/48

Top Bottom