raleigh twenty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I suspect there is a untapped reservoir of these bikes. They get bought ostensibly for shopping, used a few times and then chucked in the garage. Shame, but great for bargain hunters!

Probably true that, two of my ex mother in laws had one they never used! The fat cows prefered a broom stick.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've done some fettling on my Dawes Kingpin. I was bought a Brooks Saddle for my birthday and I had a saddle bag sitting around so I put them on the bike, In the saddle bag are an old traditional puncture kit, old style tyre levers and one of those dumb bell type multi spanners.

IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1478.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG

I was wondering whether to change the handle bar grips.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
^^^^^ +1 the white grips are perfect, but I'd have gone for a B67 / Flyer rather than the B17.............(and a white saddle bag. :biggrin:like they had then)

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
image.jpg
What strikes me most about these old bikes is the colours. The Raleigh and Dawes are just nice to look at. Here is a picture of the Moulton I saved earlier in the year from the scrap metal men. I had to build a new wheel (my first) for the rear and spent happy hours totally dismantling the SA hub and then rebuilding it with new pawl springs etc.

The bike is now with my mum and dad in the south west. Mum uses it every week to go shopping and, according to her, raises a lot of interest with random passers by!

Last edited:
Top Bottom