raleigh twenty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadrash

cycle chatterer
the raleigh twenty, bsa twenty philips twenty and various others including the raleigh stowaway , are all basically the same bike with interchanable parts ,
be aware that raleigh bottom brackets are a different width to most other makes and the threads are also different being 26 tpi instead of the usual 24 tpi,
overall the bikes are great fun and easy to maintain and have quite a following

Swifty

Über Member
Thanks for that info will have a good look at it over the next couple of days and probably make an offer will post pics if I get it

OP
OP
Dirtyhanz

Dirtyhanz

Veteran
Hi swifty
You can not go wrong on these bikes great fun really easy to fix and play around with I love mind just don't be to worried about a little bit of rust you will find most of it will clean of my one was filthy when I got it it had just sat in a shed for 30 years a quick clean new tyres and tubes and it is just like a new Bike great fun just got to get out and ride them go for it

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
I now have about 5 ( in total ) 20" shoppers in various guises, This one came along and the mudguards were cannibalised for my trike and the rest of the bike looked sorry for itself in the garage , since then It has had a respray and a face lift , still with 3 speed and front dynahub it rides nicely in a sporty way .
This one may have to go as I have run out of space
raleigh.jpg

regards emma

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I now have about 5 ( in total ) 20" shoppers in various guises, This one came along and the mudguards were cannibalised for my trike and the rest of the bike looked sorry for itself in the garage , since then It has had a respray and a face lift , still with 3 speed and front dynahub it rides nicely in a sporty way .
This one may have to go as I have run out of space
View attachment 59037

regards emma

I like that, and what you've done with the rear light.

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Thanks Carl
The rear light is on a flat plate bracket and after a little trimming fitted nicely above the rear brake .^_^
It still has the original steel rims but we found some smooth black "racing tyres " to compliment the image (. 28 hole alloy rims are a little rare )

We do a lot of caravanning and the need for a couple of folding Sports bikes lead us to rebuild these.:becool:

One is a genuine Stowaway but the other is a polish clone but both ride well .
The Raleigh is a 12 speed with thin alloy 36h rims and durano 1.1 " tyres , its fitted with a 49/40 double chainset and 14-28 rear freewheel Shimano bar end changers complete the image The front changer was a little fiddly to fit but with a little patience and a noodle the cable pull goes under the bottom bracket on a small bar extension .

The other one is 3 speed folder with alloy rims and 1.95" tyres both roll well and are used when we go caravanning .
The range of gears are adequate on both for general riding around and are more useful than the bikes in their original guise .
The hardest part was making the handlebar stems these are made from a selection of goosenecks welded together to get a sensible riding position ., We are just waiting for another Raleigh folding frame to come along so we can transfer the bits over .

sportsfolders.jpg
picture uploader

One of the other Folders, another Polish clone was given to me by my father in law who has at 84 given up cycling , That is featured in a thread in the ( Special interests ) folding bike section that has undergone a similar transformation and is now an electric folding shopper .

regards emma

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks Carl
The rear light is on a flat plate bracket and after a little trimming fitted nicely above the rear brake .^_^
It still has the original steel rims but we found some smooth black "racing tyres " to compliment the image (. 28 hole alloy rims are a little rare )

We do a lot of caravanning and the need for a couple of folding Sports bikes lead us to rebuild these.:becool:

One is a genuine Stowaway but the other is a polish clone but both ride well .
The Raleigh is a 12 speed with thin alloy 36h rims and durano 1.1 " tyres , its fitted with a 49/40 double chainset and 14-28 rear freewheel Shimano bar end changers complete the image The front changer was a little fiddly to fit but with a little patience and a noodle the cable pull goes under the bottom bracket on a small bar extension .

The other one is 3 speed folder with alloy rims and 1.95" tyres both roll well and are used when we go caravanning .
The range of gears are adequate on both for general riding around and are more useful than the bikes in their original guise .
The hardest part was making the handlebar stems these are made from a selection of goosenecks welded together to get a sensible riding position ., We are just waiting for another Raleigh folding frame to come along so we can transfer the bits over .

sportsfolders.jpg
picture uploader

One of the other Folders, another Polish clone was given to me by my father in law who has at 84 given up cycling , That is featured in a thread in the ( Special interests ) folding bike section that has undergone a similar transformation and is now an electric folding shopper .

regards emma
They look FAB, and great fun. I must get myself another one!

Swifty

Über Member
Have found a little sort of junkyard not too far away from where I live had a little look around today and he has 5 different shopper type bikes raleigh Phillips royal Enfield all in different condition he also has about 4 prewar bikes Humber raleigh and lots of bits have just bought an old racing bike which I will post on the vintage forum

GarryG

Bit of a strange one, probably not possible, but I'll ask anyway.

Anyone know if I could get my heron chainset off of the twenty and fit it to a road frame to make a custom single speed?

A bit mad but thought I'd ask!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bit of a strange one, probably not possible, but I'll ask anyway.

Anyone know if I could get my heron chainset off of the twenty and fit it to a road frame to make a custom single speed?

A bit mad but thought I'd ask!
I'd have thought the BB might be the same width, just check, then it's a straight forward swap.

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Is there a treatment for this condition?

I hope so , I need to sell a couple of them or I will be needing a bigger workshop to store them .
I intend to keep the 3 folders( racing and the e-shopper ) and sell the green Raleigh and the silver folder with a back pedal brake

regards emma

GarryG

Have discovered my shed is rotting away, so it's time to have a clear out, until I get another one, will only be keeping my mountain bike and '38 Hercules. Everything else has to go, including the Raleigh twenty, which is in parts, so selling all parts if any of you guys are interested in parts or will sell all twenty parts as a lot, including two new white wall tyres.

Will give it a day or so, then I'll list it on the bay.

Top Bottom