Rapha Festive 500. Anyone doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ivo

Anyone for 2019? :wacko:^_^:bicycle::banghead:

I'm in, only one short work day in the period (I can extend the commute) and not catering for "that" many this year. Certainly not a houseful for a fortnight like it usually is. I wasn't going to bother with a Christmas Cake but have now realised it is essential. The fruit is soaking...

No chance for me this year, still badly out of shape after PBP and hardly any time between work and the usual new years festival I'll attend.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It would be rude not to have a go again

Heigue'r

Veteran
Done the easy bit and signed up,with two young children and relations calling over the festive period that I dont see often enough..it could be a struggle,If I dont get out on christmas eve,I think that will be it😂😂

AlanW

Guru
Ive always found that the key to completing the challenge is to hit the first couple of days hard and have one 100 mile ride so that you have miles in the bank. At least it gives you the chance to take a day out for family stuff if necessary, but as soon as you miss a couple of days then its all over IMHO

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I'm in again. Don't know why I bother, I've never completed it. Mrs. jg's family are from Eastern Europe and celebrate Christmas on the 24th so that's a write off. On the 25th I need to be at my owd lasses a hundred miles away but there'll be no chance of riding down with the hangover from the previous day plus I'd not get down in time for dinner. Boxing Day = another hangover. Not looking good up to now is it?

Probably get started on the 27th then. 28th also looking good but there's another stumbling block the day after with a family celebration in Donny. 30th = yet another hangover but 31st should be OK.

The plan:
27th - 167km
28th - 167km
31st - 167km
Should be a doddle as long as the weather is OK.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm in again. Don't know why I bother, I've never completed it. Mrs. jg's family are from Eastern Europe and celebrate Christmas on the 24th so that's a write off. On the 25th I need to be at my owd lasses a hundred miles away but there'll be no chance of riding down with the hangover from the previous day plus I'd not get down in time for dinner. Boxing Day = another hangover. Not looking good up to now is it?

Probably get started on the 27th then. 28th also looking good but there's another stumbling block the day after with a family celebration in Donny. 30th = yet another hangover but 31st should be OK.

The plan:
27th - 167km
28th - 167km
31st - 167km
Should be a doddle as long as the weather is OK.

24-26th get out and do an hour each day, you'll bag between 40 and 50 miles and be well on your way.

It’s designed with the absolute worst time window possible. Most years, I try and do 2 160 mile rides, in the first 3 days, it’s easier to finish it then.

Ivo

Last year the work schedule worked fine and I could have a go at the 500 at Christmas. I didn't manage do it at once due to some alergy issues, I stranded at 330k. But that was only 170km left to do. So a couple of rides when I was on holidays in Germany settled the remainder. Getting the largest part done during your first ride is a good idea.

Top Bottom