Real ale Vs. Lager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...I don't drink either ...erm...but I used to. For me it was always about where I was drinking it....village pub + cricket green or log fire = real ale....city pub = lager....on balane I reckon real ale is best....erm..so to speak.

Abitrary

I like summer lightening, and if they don't have that, then stella or kronenbourg but not becks since they lowered it's alcohol content to 4 per cent

Joe

Über Member
Real ale everytime. Lager tastes like piss in comparison, or what I imagine piss tastes like anyway;)
An old man before my time.
Stuff like Duvel and Leffe is allright though, whatever category that falls under...

gavintc

Guru
I find some real ales just too heavy and chewy and have over the years moved away from them. A lager tends to be my pint of choice. But, I find myself preferring a smaller drink such as a small bottled beer when I am in a club, so will order a Corona or similar.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Keg lager is simply a nasty pasteurised industrial mass-market product designed to get yobs and girls pissed as fast as possible while generating obscene profits for the makers. Proper beer is brewed mostly with pride by people who care about the product and who strive to deliver quality. There's no contest.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Rigid Raider said:
Keg lager is simply a nasty pasteurised industrial mass-market product designed to get yobs and girls pissed as fast as possible while generating obscene profits for the makers. Proper beer is brewed mostly with pride by people who care about the product and who strive to deliver quality. There's no contest.

Absolutely. :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Real ale is drunk by men with beards and lumberjack shirts who ride to the pub on some antiquated pile of old junk made of steel and fitted with kit that became obsolete in 1955. They are fat, fart loudly, have sex with animals because women are repulsed by them, have a model railway in the shed and still live with their mums.

gavintc

Guru
Rigid Raider said:

No stereotypes there. :biggrin: You really ought to move out of the corner of your old local pub and have a look at the modern bars and clubs opening in the town near you. You might realise that not everyone in a bar has a beer belly or smells of wee.

Brock

A cask ale for me every time, variety is the spice of life and there is an endless variety of flavours and characters in ale, much like wine. Why anyone would choose a pasteurised pint of bland fizzy chavwater squirted out of a pressured pipe is beyond me.
I'm 35 by the way.

slow down

I don't drink a great deal any more, but prefer Murphys or Guinness over Ale or Lager.
I realise it't not one of the choices asked by the OP, but I find Ale to sweet/sickly and lager too gassy.

Withnail

I Drank huge amounts of disco-piss in my younger days but it's real ale for me now; Deuchars is a particular favourite. I'm 28 - am I the youngest RA afficionado here?

Smeggers

Being the son of a CAMRA member, I had real ale in the bottle from birth.

Cant imagine drinking anything else really.

radger

Veteran
Real ale here too

I am also 28, but in addition I am female and have no beard or lumberjack shirt. Sorry not to fit into the stereotype :biggrin:

Beer is my favourite drink (as opposed to red wine or brandy, which one just sips! :biggrin:) but real ale wins hands down if there's a choice of both.
A good lager (and there are some, esp. from Belgium, Germany and the Czech/Slovakia regions) on a hot day straight after a cricket match used to be a real highlight, but on trips back home, I'll sample as many different ales as possible. The list is endless, but if it's in CAMRA's handbook I'll probably like/give it a go! :rolleyes:

U

User169

Rigid Raider said:

Whilst that may well be the case, it doesn't fairly apply to all lagers. There are plenty of lager brewers "who care about the product and who strive to deliver quality". Nothing wrong with, say, Pilsner Urquell or any number of German Pllsners. Currently, I like Brand Urtyp (Brand is a Dutch Brewery owned by Heineken).

Top Bottom