Really TRUE odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The last UK election* not on held a Thursday was on October 27, 1931 — which was a Tuesday.

Friday was traditionally payday, meaning workers would be more likely to go to the pub than to vote.

There were concerns that if it was held on Sunday, a priest might try to influence the public's votes.

Thursday, was usually a market day and large numbers of people would be travelling into towns, so it made sense to set it up then.

*Does not include By-Elections.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The last UK election* not on held a Thursday was on October 27, 1931 — which was a Tuesday.

Friday was traditionally payday, meaning workers would be more likely to go to the pub than to vote.

There were concerns that if it was held on Sunday, a priest might try to influence the public's votes.

Thursday, was usually a market day and large numbers of people would be travelling into towns, so it made sense to set it up then.

*Does not include By-Elections.
interesting - have often wondered - assumed it was just some daft "tradition". Can understand why it wouldn't be Saturday or Monday but can't help wondering what the problem would be with Wednesdays?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
It was in the Lancashire area. Different days meant that you could travel a few miles and still get what you needed. Towns were all relatively close together.
Same went for wakes weeks. Remember them?
At the risk of a divert, I'm lancs. so yes Wednesdays. I also dimly remember the fag end of what I suppose was wakes week though I never knew them as that - instead they were called (insert town) holidays. Everything shut, even the paper shop.

Alex H

Legendary Member
yep i wondered about that but why would that be a problem? also, i thought half day closing was different in some places?
Same reason as #527 maybe - not enough people about - closing was 'generally' on a Wednesday and was a legal requirement (Shop Hours Act 1904)

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
1500 German scientists were brought out from Germany under Operation Paperclip. As others have said the Germans were well advanced in all things rocket based. No question that without them there would have been no successful US space programme.

Kryton521

Über Member
Sitting down makes your metabolism stop. So the more you sit still the less "energy" used and the more calories go unused.

Hence fat lazy f**kers will remain fat lazy f**kers who cost us all a fortune to keep! :cursing:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Sitting down makes your metabolism stop. So the more you sit still the less "energy" used and the more calories go unused.

Hence fat lazy f**kers will remain fat lazy f**kers who cost us all a fortune to keep! :cursing:
You strayed over from somewhere else?
Some subdivision of the politics and current affairs fest?
It's my understanding that just existing burns a fair amount of calories, which accounts for the fact that paired with calorie restriction you can lose a fair amount of weight. Just existing/pottering around your house burns rather a lot of calories per day.

classic33

Leg End Member
When you stand, you burn anywhere from 100 to 200 calories an hour. It all depends on your sex, age, height, and weight. Sitting, by comparison, only burns 60 to 130 calories an hour.

The amount of calories burned increases according to body weight. So, a person who weighs 150 pounds might burn 46 calories an hour or between 322 and 414 calories a night. Whilst a person who weighs 185 pounds might burn around 56 calories or between 392 and 504 calories for a full night of sleep.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Henri Van Lerberghe was known as the Death Rider of Lichterverde thanks to his tendency to reckless attacks early in races only to blow up before the finish. At the begining of 1919 Tour of Flanders he announced to the peleton he was going to ride them to the dirt, which caused some laughs. 120km from the finish he went on to long range attack, crossing the train wagon while his opponents were waiting for it to pass.
He stole the food bag meant for one of his main rivals, and upon arring at the finish instead of crossing the line went to the bar to have a couple of beers too many. Pulled by the race director he drunkenly shouted at the public to go home as his opponents weren't due to arrive untill tomorrow. He won by 14 min, to this day the biggest margain.
He never won another race.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you know that you were born without with no kneecaps?

Kneecaps are made up of soft cartilage (connective tissue) that hadn’t yet ossified into bones. “True” kneecaps don’t show up until somewhere between two and six years of age.

Top Bottom