Rear derailleur barrel adjuster insert thread stripped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
Rear derailleur cable snapped today out on a ride.
8 speed sora (sora is now 9 speed but bike is from 2013 so was sora at time).
I digress!

On taking old cable off to replace new cable I couldn't get the barrel adjuster back in.
On inspection the thread on the actual derailleur seems to be stripped so the barrel adjuster just won't go in at all.

Given that there is a barrel adjuster on the trigger shifters, can I just take the barrel adjuster off at the rear mech and simply use the adjuster at the shifter to index the shifting?

If it would work, am I best to take out the barrel adjuster all together (at rear mech) or just leave it on but don't screw it in (cos it won't!)
From researching, it seems that some rear mechs don't actually have barrel adjusters where the cable goes through rear mech (apparently).

Don't want to have to buy new rear derailleur.
Any thoughts?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How badly is it damaged? Running a tap though might save it.

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
Just seems to be the first few threads that are stripped but just won't screw in at all.

I have an old spare mech and tried to screw it into that too and weirdly it wouldn't screw into that either and it felt like it was starting to strip tat thread too!

Almost like it is too big. Then took off another barrel adjuster to compare and they do seem to be standard size.

I gave up!

It could be that the thread at the entry to the mech is damaged because the adjuster has been run for a while with only just a small part of it screwed into the mech.

The suggestion about tapping it is sound, and if it is not possible to screw the adjuster in from the entry you could screw it into the opposite end. I cannot recall the thread size offhand but I know it is quite a common size in bolts and they can be used to re-tap it.

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
I had that happen once and just ended up replacing the mech. I got a cheap 2nd hand one off eBay.

I have an old spare and tried a couple of barrel adjusters and had no luck. Didn't want to force it any more in case I ended up stripping the other mech!

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
It could be that the thread at the entry to the mech is damaged because the adjuster has been run for a while with only just a small part of it screwed into the mech.

The suggestion about tapping it is sound, and if it is not possible to screw the adjuster in from the entry you could screw it into the opposite end. I cannot recall the thread size offhand but I know it is quite a common size in bolts and they can be used to re-tap it.

That sounds like it could be what's happened.
Probably from me trying to adjust the indexing and turning it too far out.
You live and learn!

The other side is narrower so can only go in from the one side.

I'll have another look at it.

Just sorted the front mech cable - took ages to get right.
First ride out and rear cable snapped.

Feel like chucking it in a skip and starting again!
I won't of course!

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
add an inline adjuster?

Id happily do this.

How and where do they attach?

I'm sure there is already a barrel adjuster at the shifter (trigger shifter).

Can I just use that to index if need be?

Never understood why there wa an adjuster at both ends.
Front mech only has 1 adjuster and works fine.

Just not sure if attaching it to the rear mech without it would work.

Although this person did and it seems to work

1622679085433.png

Looks like they were building a bike and didn't have the barrel adjuster then found out that shimano has stopped supporting them on the rear mech.

I dunno.

View: https://medium.com/@bn_72415/last-bits-and-road-readiness-2e02dd319182

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
Update

I took off the barrel adjuster at the rear mech, just leaving the plastic ferule.
The ferule just sits against the rear mech but the tension on the cable keeps it in place (basically like the photo I found and posted above).

As it has trigger shifters there is a barrel adjuster on the shifter so I just used that to index.

Works absolutely fine.

If there wasn't one there then I would have bought an inline barrel adjuster.

Might buy a couple of inline ones to have as spares no that I know it doesn't really matter where the adjuster is located.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions.
Much appreciated!

OP
OP
R

raggydoll

Über Member
Due to the nature of doing up an old frame with modern bits, my Revell mixte has 3 barrel adjusters for the rear mech, and two for the front!
:biggrin:

Well that's just greedy!^_^

How do you set them?
Do you just use one and leave the others or just tweak whichever one you fancy?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Id happily do this.

How and where do they attach?

I'm sure there is already a barrel adjuster at the shifter (trigger shifter).

Can I just use that to index if need be?

Never understood why there wa an adjuster at both ends.
Front mech only has 1 adjuster and works fine.

Just not sure if attaching it to the rear mech without it would work.

Although this person did and it seems to work

View attachment 591934

Looks like they were building a bike and didn't have the barrel adjuster then found out that shimano has stopped supporting them on the rear mech.

I dunno.

View: https://medium.com/@bn_72415/last-bits-and-road-readiness-2e02dd319182

Because the triggers are mtb bike and derailleur a road one. It is mix and match, meaning you end up with adjusters both ends.

Well that's just greedy!^_^

How do you set them?
Do you just use one and leave the others or just tweak whichever one you fancy?
To be honest, it gets worse...The damn thing sets itself! I just this afternoon swapped it from 2x8 to 2x9, different rear mech, different type of rear mech, even. And it worked after a couple of minutes' adjustment. The Scott, which went from 3x9 to 3x8, is a whole 'nuther thang, and that's only got the normal compliment of adjusters!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom