Rear Derailleur. Standard Mount Or Direct Mount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
Just about to clean the drivetrain and I've noticed a bit of damage on my well worn rear mech.

Looking to buy a replacement and I have come across "Standard Mount" or "Direct Mount" (often both?) being used in the online descriptions.

So here's a piccy of what I've got.

Answers on a postcard please........

rear hanger.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well the rear mech doesn't mount straight to the frame

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is the damage? Is it because it’s bent? Can’t really see from that photo but it could be that the hanger and not the derailleur is bent.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
What is the damage? Is it because it’s bent? Can’t really see from that photo but it could be that the hanger and not the derailleur is bent.
It's the bottom of the jockey wheel frame which took a bit of a bash when I was fixing a puncture on the way home. Bike still worked but the chain was making a bit of a racket for the remainder of the journey.

I've unbent the frame with a pair of pliers and everything is good, but as it's six years old and a bit worn, I thought I would splash out on a £17.98 replacement ready for when I next swap out my chain.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member

Cycleops

Legendary Member
After you install the new derailleur I’d check by looking at the installation from behind to see if it all lines up and the hanger was not affected. The hanger is designed to give in the event of a bash. Easy enough to straighten out.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
After you install the new derailleur I’d check by looking at the installation from behind to see if it all lines up and the hanger was not affected. The hanger is designed to give in the event of a bash. Easy enough to straighten out.
Basically, I was lowering the bike after taking off the rear wheel to fix a puncture and I slipped and caught the edge of the jockey wheel cage against the tarmac. This bent the cage inwards so that it rubbed the chain.

All fixed now, but looking at the general state of the rear mech, it could do with renewing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
From what I can tell, both "Direct Mount" and "Standard Mount" require a hanger.
Your current hanger (OP image) requires a 'standard mount'. If you get a direct mount RD you will need a link to move the mounting hole to the rear (and lose any advantage the DM offers, in fact making it less stiff). The standard mount image below shows the link.
1610802615796.png

Top Bottom