Rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tangoup51

I only want to see if 28 is big enough or if I should go for a 32.
I struggle on some really steep stuff (18%+) with 34/28.
I know with a 36/25 I struggle

I have a 11-32 and round 'ere theres alot of suddenly unpredictable steep stuff that make a 32 struggle but a 28 probably not do-able :P

I'd recommend it if you're struggling too much on it.

OP
OP
broady

broady

Veteran
What part of Leicester are you @Tangoup51 ?

OP
OP
broady

broady

Veteran
I don't want to split the chain as I don't have a quick link or a new pin for it.
I think I'll just take a different bike tomorrow and set this up once the new chain arrives.
This bike is my only 11 speed bike so no spares really as yet.

Tangoup51

Not in the usable gears it won't. Big/big is a viable (if inadvisable) option, so worth compensating for.

Perhaps you should also advise him he should ensure his front derailleur doesn't rub against the chain when he's in the small-small gears.

Point being, don't compromise all for the sake of one. It's not good advice.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I live a couple o' miles outside Leicester city, in the villages toward loughborough.
One of the best bike shops in the county out that way, Cyclops in Syston. :becool:

S-Express

Perhaps you should also advise him he should ensure his front derailleur doesn't rub against the chain when he's in the small-small gears.

Point being, don't compromise all for the sake of one. It's not good advice.

Not sure what point you're making there mate. I'm unconcerned about chain rub in small/small, as I never go anywhere near it. Big/big, on the other hand, well there's far more likelihood of hitting that on a more regular basis - so yes, it is worth compensating for. In any case, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Tangoup51

Not sure what point you're making there mate. I'm unconcerned about chain rub in small/small, as I never go anywhere near it. Big/big, on the other hand, well there's far more likelihood of hitting that on a more regular basis - so yes, it is worth compensating for. In any case, the two are not mutually exclusive.

The point being adjusting your entire drivetrain to work on gears that aren't designed to be used frequently (if not at all) is a bad compromise for the rest. And bad advice.

Tangoup51

One of the best bike shops in the county out that way, Cyclops in Syston. :becool:

Mm, funny you should mention. I tried to get a job there but ended getting another bike job elsewhere before I got a chance to hear back :cry:

Most of the routes i do end up going through syston at some point though. Stalk me if you can :tongue:

S-Express

The point being adjusting your entire drivetrain to work on gears that aren't designed to be used frequently (if not at all) is a bad compromise for the rest. And bad advice.

It isn't though. As I'm sure someone with your knowledge and experience will already understand, it is perfectly possible to adjust the inner and outer limits of the FD independently of each other.

For instance, SRAM 2x10 and 2x11 drivetrains are capable of running big/big crossover routinely - but I'm sure you already knew that.

Tangoup51

It isn't though. As I'm sure someone with your knowledge and experience will already understand, it is perfectly possible to adjust the inner and outer limits of the FD independently of each other.

For instance, SRAM 2x10 and 2x11 drivetrains are capable of running big/big crossover routinely - but I'm sure you already knew that.

"It isn't though." - That's a very hollow counter argument you present. Being in those gears is bad for more reasons than it is good, particularly if you actually your desired cassette gear ratios set up. I don't know why you're trying so hard to hold onto something that clearly is not making any good sense.

Yes, you can do that with the FD... that's kind of the point with the limiter screws of them being independent....I don't think you understood what I said..

They're capable of this? every bike is capable of that. Whether it's advisable for the health of your drivetrain however, is another question, a sacrifice not worth making for any reason.

Also, what does it matter if Said Sram 2x11 is able to do this without any problems This makes no sense in relation to the OP or his bike.

Last edited:

S-Express

"It isn't though." - That's a very hollow counter argument you present.

It's simply a foil to your assertion that "adjusting your entire drivetrain to work on gears that aren't designed to be used frequently (if not at all) is a bad compromise for the rest. And bad advice." Those were the words you used.

Ironically, I'm not sure you understood what you said yourself. There is obviously no need to adjust the 'entire drive train' (your words) in order to get the drivetrain running in big/big.

I know it isn't an ideal gear (I said as much in my first reply), but it is perfectly usable - unless of course your chain isn't long enough, which is the bit that relates to the OP.

If you want a 100% healthy chainline 100% of the time, run a single-speed on 42mm.

Top Bottom