Rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

That chain length ain't gonna rip the rear mech off if you select it is it.

Who knows - possibly, possibly not, as YS points out just above. But in the situation I just described, I'd rather add another link and be happy.

So, here we are.
Your final conclusion is this....He Needs to add another link to his chain to be able to shift in a way you perceive as faster rather than walking down the cassette from the inner, until you need the outer and vice versa.

I already said I was describing a race situation, which is presumably something you are not familiar with, so I can appreciate your confusion. As before, happy to help improve your understand of this stuff, so keep asking :smile:

Last edited:

Tangoup51

Who knows - possibly, possibly not, as YS points out just above. But in the situation I just described, I'd rather add another link and be happy.

I already said I was describing a race situation, which is presumably something you are not familiar with, so I can appreciate your confusion. As before, happy to help improve your understand of this stuff, so keep asking :smile:

You advised the OP to compromise his chain length (and the health of his drive train as a result) because YOU can't use your gears fast enough.

No one should ask you anything. :headshake:

S-Express

You advised the OP to compromise his chain length (and the health of his drive train as a result) because YOU can't use your gears fast enough.

No one should ask you anything. :headshake:

You seem keener on insulting me than you are in debating this - maybe you should have stopped at your previous post. One click is always going to be faster than several, for the reasons I described earlier. Sadly, current regulations prevent you from entering your Boardman CX into a road race, otherwise I would tell you to give it a try yourself.

Last edited:

Tangoup51

You seem keener on insulting me than you are in debating this - maybe you should have stopped at your previous post. One click is always going to be faster than several, for the reasons I described earlier. Sadly, current regulations prevent you from entering your Boardman CX into a road race, otherwise I would tell you to give it a try yourself.

I seem keen on pointing out your hilariously stupid advice. ^_^

Make sure the next time you reply to someone in regards to chain length you Instruct them to compromise it so they can access a gear no one uses unless your a slow-fingered roadie.

You may view this as insulting, but this is mostly factual.

What "regulations" prevent me from entering my bike into a road race?

*sidenote - I've raced before actually, not professional level of course. You seem to take a notion that having taken part in a Race gives you the right to be arrogant, I wouldn't be considering how bad your advice is :laugh:

Last edited:

S-Express

What "regulations" prevent me from entering my bike into a road race?

The regulations which currently prohibit disc-equipped bikes from participating in BC-sanctioned races on road or circuit. You could try a CX race though - those are fun. Lots of us are now running 1x10 or 1x11 transmissions in CX, so we're always cross-chaining at both ends - you'd love it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Tangoup51

The regulations which currently prohibit disc-equipped bikes from participating in BC-sanctioned races on road or circuit. You could try a CX race though - those are fun. Lots of us are now running 1x10 or 1x11 transmissions in CX, so we're always cross-chaining at both ends - you'd love it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's true, I'm sure i'd be able to win said races using the gears how they were intended to be, after all I wouldn't be cross chaining with a single chainring anyway. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

S-Express

That's true, I'm sure i'd be able to win said races using the gears how they were intended to be, after all I wouldn't be cross chaining with a single chainring anyway. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Depends on the chainset and your setup. You may end up cross-chaining, just like the rest of us. Happy days.

Tangoup51

Depends on the chainset and your setup. You may end up cross-chaining, just like the rest of us. Happy days.

Nope, I won't be cross chaining with my set up and nor would I be doing so running 1x front. I prefer to respect my equipment :smile:

S-Express

Nope, I won't be cross chaining with my set up and nor would I be doing so running 1x front. I prefer to respect my equipment :smile:

Good for you mate - your bike (is that your bike?) certainly looks very clean and shiny in your avatar. You obviously spend a lot of time looking after it and keeping it in tip-top condition.

Tangoup51

Good for you mate - your bike (is that your bike?) certainly looks very clean and shiny in your avatar. You obviously spend a lot of time looking after it and keeping it in tip-top condition.

Thanks, It's the same model but not the one I own. I try too; it's a CX bike so for me it turns out to be 95% redundant to keep it in the best condition since it's already been peppered with cuts and stones from riding it.. and crashing it :rolleyes:

I have a strange attraction to your avatar though. Gives me an idea of what a Zebra looks like on a Zebra crossing. /////\\\\\\\\\\////////\/\/\\\\\\\\\

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
That's okay for large-large.
No - the cage should not come above 4:30 o'clock.
It's not ok, in the sense that you are running big ring/big sprocket crossover, which is never going to be ideal. Either way, my first reaction would be to say you are one link too short.
This ^^^
Far too much strain.
This ^^^
It's absolutely fine.
No, it's not. I cannot believe you would set up your chain like this.
I think the extra link will make the chain too slack.
It probably won't, but if it does then, in the unlikely event of you finding yourself shifting into small and (say) second smallest sprocket, you'll immediately hear the complaint (return chain rubbing against chain on tension wheel) and immediately take mitigating action: shift into the large chainring. I have found this works well (when I'm using chainwheel/cassette combinations which are more than the capacity of the RD to wrap the chain). This is a small price to pay when you're seeking to operate the RD outside its stated performance envelope. However carefully one seeks to avoid it, large/large will happen (eg in the dark) and that extreme is the one that must have a bit of slack to make the shift, as others have said.

Tangoup51

No - the cage should not come above 4:30 o'clock.

This ^^^

This ^^^

No, it's not. I cannot believe you would set up your chain like this.

It probably won't, but if it does then, in the unlikely event of you finding yourself shifting into small and (say) second smallest sprocket, you'll immediately hear the complaint (return chain rubbing against chain on tension wheel) and immediately take mitigating action: shift into the large chainring. I have found this works well (when I'm using chainwheel/cassette combinations which are more than the capacity of the RD to wrap the chain). This is a small price to pay when you're seeking to operate the RD outside its stated performance envelope. However carefully one seeks to avoid it, large/large will happen (eg in the dark) and that extreme is the one that must have a bit of slack to make the shift, as others have said.

Mm, you present your opinions as if it was fact, but I know there isn't enough behind your opinion to relegate it to a fact though.

He has the correct chain tension as according to his own eye and that of a park tool video. I do not believe anyone can present a counter argument strong enough to defeat that fact alone, I would advise not to try.

Besides, this is a dead topic now as the OP has his mind set on what he wants to do.

I do agree with what you have said at the end for the most part though. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
t I know there isn't enough behind your opinion to relegate it to a fact though.
He has the correct chain tension as according to his own eye and that of a park tool video. I do not believe anyone can present a counter argument strong enough to defeat that fact alone,
"I know" = How do you know, please? @S-Express is very knowledgeable and has much experience - he has tried to help the OP and explain his rationale. Don't you recognise the hubris you display by saying 'I know' whilst relegating my considered opinion to error.
"relegate it to a fact" - please use English.
"the correct chain tension" - in what way is this about the tension in the chain? This is an issue of chain length when users are seeking to use an RD outside its performance envelope.
"I do not believe anyone can present a counter argument strong enough to defeat that fact alone" What fact is that? That the Park Tools video suggests guidance? Several of the contributors have presented clear, valid and persuasive counter arguments to the suggestion (which you almost alone are opining) that the setup would be "fine".
My mantra here would be 'do no harm' and a chain as short as the image would risk self-harming if inadvertently used large/large. An extra link (one inch) would negate that risk and the only downside might be a bit of rub which would be noisily obvious to the rider, with an easy immediate action to stop it.

Tangoup51

"I know" = How do you know, please? @S-Express is very knowledgeable and has much experience - he has tried to help the OP and explain his rationale. Don't you recognise the hubris you display by saying 'I know' whilst relegating my considered opinion to error.
"relegate it to a fact" - please use English.
"the correct chain tension" - in what way is this about the tension in the chain? This is an issue of chain length when users are seeking to use an RD outside its performance envelope.
"I do not believe anyone can present a counter argument strong enough to defeat that fact alone" What fact is that? That the Park Tools video suggests guidance? Several of the contributors have presented clear, valid and persuasive counter arguments to the suggestion (which you almost alone are opining) that the setup would be "fine".
My mantra here would be 'do no harm' and a chain as short as the image would risk self-harming if inadvertently used large/large. An extra link (one inch) would negate that risk and the only downside might be a bit of rub which would be noisily obvious to the rider, with an easy immediate action to stop it.

I know it because you didn't present any factual claims to your opinion. You just stated an opinion as if it was fact, without backing up what you said. Such as " No - the cage should not come above 4:30 o'clock."

I never relegated your opinion to Error. I Relegated your opinion to just that. An Opinion.

I respectfully ask you pay more attention here. You would of realized I was suggesting what the OP ended up doing, he agreed not to add any more chain links. Who has helped the OP more from that aspect? Your clear bias towards another user on here is laughably open; perhaps this is what caused your defensive and hostile reaction to my friendly comment.

The RD performance in that field about what the OP was asking is entirely and solely related to Chain Length.

Yes, the video suggests guidance that is factual.

You say "Several of the contributors have presented clear, valid and persuasive counter arguments to the suggestion that the set up would be fine"

What example are there of these highly acclaimed arguments?

By example, I mean a deep in-depth argument that concludes that his current chain length is inappropriate, which, bare in mind, would also have to propose a counter argument to the method shown in this video to a respectable degree.

Not even @S-Express put an in-depth counter argument that the chain length was wrong in safety terms, in fact his argument was with me discussing why it's worth over-sizing said chain length.

Now as to what you've said at the end, I respect your idealogy of safety but not your tone toward me,

my tone has been to keep things mechanically functional, @S-Express tone is to keep things avaliable, and yours is safety.

My recommendations of mechanical functionality goes hand-in-hand with your safety aspect, If you can shift into Large/Large without doing what we see on the Park Tool Video (i,e having inverted bends) then there's very little chance you're going to do any harm to your Derailleur and thus, yourself.

Exceptions can and will be made for everyone, but you will be Hard Pressed to see any derailleur present an immediate and destructive attitude toward rider safety when selecting large/large if you stay within the confines of the example shown within the Park Tool Video.

Last edited:
Top Bottom