Rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broady

Veteran
Is this still okay or under too much strain?
This is in 52/28:

20170422_194551.jpg

And on 36/11, will it take an extra couple of links:
FB_IMG_1492890937328.jpg

*And yes I know all about chain crossing

Last edited:

Tangoup51

go to 1:00 - 1:15 >

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0YibMDWBAw

That's okay for large-large.

Last edited:

Tangoup51

It's not ok, in the sense that you are running big ring/big sprocket crossover, which is never going to be ideal. Either way, my first reaction would be to say you are one link too short.

I think everyone knows not to run in large/large.

I was going to say that too but I remembered the video above so i'm going to stick to that and suggest the OP does too.

Tangoup51

I've ridden large/large plenty of times. As I said, it's never ideal, but sometimes in a race situation there's sometimes not a lot of choice.

The issue is whether the chain is too tight, and it probably is.

You can ride in certain gears; such as that gear you mentioned or lowest at the back and smallest at the front but if you set your bike up to work in those gears for the long haul you'd just compromise the other gears, so i'm not about to offer the OP advice for how to ensure he can run smoothly in a gear not designed to be used in.

It's absolutely fine.

S-Express

It's absolutely fine.

So the mech is pulled just about as straight as it will allow, and you think it's 'fine'. Given that mech is already tight as a drum, how much tighter does it need to get before you would start to think about adding another link?

Tangoup51

So the mech is pulled just about as straight as it will allow, and you think it's 'fine'. Given that mech is already tight as a drum, how much tighter does it need to get before you would start to think about adding another link?

It's not supposed to be slack in that gear. That derailleur can come become alot straighter than that. Review the video I posted above.

OP
OP
broady

broady

Veteran
FB_IMG_1492890937328.jpg
I think the extra link will make the chain too slack.

And I know all about cross chaining, but is still doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes happen.

I have the longer reach rear mech, but the new chain isn't arriving until Monday/Tuesday

I have plenty of other bikes that I can use instead if not

OP
OP
broady

broady

Veteran
I only want to see if 28 is big enough or if I should go for a 32.
I struggle on some really steep stuff (18%+) with 34/28.
I know with a 36/25 I struggle

Top Bottom