Rear lights position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

IMG_20181002_191741_hdr.jpg IMG_20181002_191751_hdr.jpg IMG_20181002_191616_hdr.jpg With a bag in the back on a rack, where do I put the lights? Got two on the rack bracket but one rattles. Should i put it on the bag?
The rack has thin horizontal struts. The bag blocks the seat and seat tube. I'll take a pic

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Increase the thickness of the back rack's rail with stripes of cut up inner tube, or plumber's plastic pipe cut offs, or electrical tape.
Or, more elegantly, you could buy a rear rack light fitting, then attach it to the rack with strong cable ties.
I will try to take pictures for you in daylight.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Make sure you point it downwards. Not everybody appreciates having retinal image retention inflicted on them when riding behind somebody with daftly bright lights.
A rear light needs to be pointing horizontally (ie NOT "downwards") to ensure good conspicuity by drivers behind. If you don't like to ride behind '"daftly bright lights", then don't. Any retinal image retention is self-inflicted by the viewer not inflicted by the light displayer.
Personally (as well as displaying a non-flashing light fixed to the frame) I carry a flashing/pulsing rear light (its clip is broken) in the translucent rear pocket of my gilet - excellent visual effect - including as one walks into the pub :smile: Two hours in the dark last night on the edge of Dartmoor.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5399564, member: 9609"]it looks like that car has its headlights and fogs on - too many car drivers are doing this now, i reckon some think DRL and fogs are some sort of bling jewellery, particularly audi drivers

the cyclist in the picture looks about right. bit too close to the curb?[/QUOTE]

He's staying within a painted cycle lane there.

I couldn't ride behind him so went very slowly for a while to let him get far enough ahead to be obscured by other traffic. Believe me, the shot doesn't do justice to how dazzling his lights were.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5399564, member: 9609"]it looks like that car has its headlights and fogs on - too many car drivers are doing this now, i reckon some think DRL and fogs are some sort of bling jewellery, particularly audi drivers

the cyclist in the picture looks about right. bit too close to the curb?[/QUOTE]
Given the cyclist's lights seem to be slightly brighter than the fogs on the other car (and it's not foggy, of course), there's nothing "about right" about his lights.

To the OP: I'd fit both lights to the rack bracket somehow and try to get/make/adapt a mount that doesn't rattle. One large-surface light is usually better than two smaller ones, too.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Re the photo. I'm going to confidently say that it tells us exactly nothing about whether any of the lights are too bright, not bright enough or just right.

On its own, maybe. But I was subjected to it and can confirm both lights were so dazzling I adjusted my ride to get away from them. I see scores of bright lights every day on my commute and this is one of a handful of occasions I've had to compromise my ride because they were ruining my vision.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

On its own, maybe. But I was subjected to it and can confirm both lights were so dazzling I adjusted my ride to get away from them. I see scores of bright lights every day on my commute and this is one of a handful of occasions I've had to compromise my ride because they were ruining my vision.

So on this occasion, would flashing lights have been better?

Top Bottom