Recommende good bib shorts for longer rides.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
All the ones I have are good for up to 40 miles, after that, my bum hurts and the ride becomes uncomfortable so what make to you recommend that will have padding good enough to go past 40 miles? Budget about £120.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I did a 121 mile ride On Sunday and my Specialized RBX bib shorts were great, no issues at all.

S-Express

All the ones I have are good for up to 40 miles, after that, my bum hurts and the ride becomes uncomfortable so what make to you recommend that will have padding good enough to go past 40 miles? Budget about £120.

If you can't get past 40 miles without hurting, I would suggest the issue is not restricted to your bib shorts. Throwing money at a new pair may not make any difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sportful or Gore for me (waist shorts)

As above, look at the saddle and set up. Discuss at the bike fit you are considering

@Dave7 had similar issues and went for Endura pro

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
shorts are pretty much like saddles , , what one person finds comfy the next person may not
This ^^.

I use DHB Aeron and Altura Porgel for commuting, but they're don't suit me for more than 20 miles or so. I'm a bit of a tight git, but pushed the boat out on a pair of Gore Oxygen bibs last year (on sale @ £90) and they are fab. Since bought another pair.

T4tomo

Guru
What are your current shorts, as if they are Aldi specials or similar then some of the suggestions might well improve your situation.

Good value top notch recommendations are Santini edge from Prendas. Or anything within their NAT insert. As worn by Orica pro team

Or go on sport pursuit.com and look at Rivelo Honister. They have the same cytech EIT pad that Rapha use in their shorts, without having to over pay for it. If your not familiar with the sport pursuit model you need to sign up and delivery isn't instant, but the prices are good,

Heigue'r

Veteran
Standard dhb ones I find very comfortable...the 30 pound jobbies...Recently bought the dhb Aeron for longer rides and dont get on with them at all...its like the pad is too hard and causes lower back pain...dont get it with the standard ones so very much a personel thing

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I t think I will wait until after the bike fit before I splash out my hard earned pension. I will mention it and see.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As @vickster mentioned.........I am the world expert on sore a***s :smile:
There are so many variables that may affect you.
When I was young I could ride 50/70 a day with no padded shorts. Having gone back to cycling in my mid 60s I quickly found my sit bones were no longer elastic. I bought a pair of Funkier short (£30ish) but if managed a 30 miler I literally could not get back on the bike for a week.......it was sooo painful.
Went for a £100 bike fit and bought a Sella Italia saddle.............made no difference**.
Spoke to the manager at a LBS who got me on a turbo and said.......that set up is all wrong and that saddle is wrong for you. He re-set everything and sold me a Fizik and a pair of Endura shorts. Next day I went out and did a 68 miler.............got back on the day after and did (I think) another 15 miler. What is more he didn't charge me for the fit.
**got all my money back for the 1st fit and saddle.
So my point is....................
I don't know the answer :smile: I am sure it is not just a pair of shorts/or a saddle/or a bike fit.
Depending on which part of North Wales you are............it may be worth a trip to Warrington and get this guy to check you out (not saying he does it for free every time though)

Top Bottom