Recovery Protein???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
normal food - normal diet

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've just finished a keg of High5 recovery shake and convinced myself that it made a difference. I've since learned a lot about nutrition and am going to try eating a hearty meal after a big ride, which to be fair I would do anyway! I find salted nuts help recovery, as does regular exercise so your body gets used to it :smile:

I read somewhere once that fitness isn't about how much stamina you can build, it's about how quickly you can recover.

After a good ride I find it hard to consume 40g of protein from 'normal food' and so I'll drink a whey protein shake. Seems to really help muscle recovery.

Normal food is great for normal activity, but limited when exercise is taken to a competitive level.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Okay......... to settle this........ and to satisfy my curiousity, disclose the level at which you compete and your best placing..... GO GO GO!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
recovery doesn't define fitness - performance does.

I stand corrected.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Okay......... to settle this........ and to satisfy my curiousity, disclose the level at which you compete and your best placing..... GO GO GO!

I'm a bit of a fat knacker but when I compete I always come first, although 90% of my cycling is solo, so that's probably not a terribly revealing result.

I would say the same for sex, but that might lower the tone.

My exercise is at a competitive level and I have no problem at all with eating normal food - before, during and after training...

Cool, but from my experience and from fellow racers (cat 1,2 and pro) I don't know anyone who doesn't supplement a normal (real food) diet with either protein shakes, power bars or gels.

For example I don't know of any real food that can fuel a fast hundred miles or one that can easily provide 40g of protein after a hard ride or race.

For example I don't know of any real food that can fuel a fast hundred miles or one that can easily provide 40g of protein after a hard ride or race.

What.? Are you joking..? The list of real foods that can do precisely that are as long as your arm (or longer, if you have particularly short arms). A plain old tin of tuna will get you close to 30g for starters. You've obviously never looked inside one of the musettes that get handed out on a tour stage...

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I found that training for an iroman I woke up starving between 3 and 4 some nights. I found a glass of milk with a casein based protein drink before bed got me through the night. Whey protein before bed seemed to keep me awake or make me feel sick.
Here is something to substantiate the use of casein as a recovery aid.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/22330017

I used the zipvit product.

Top Bottom