Recovery Protein???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks - if I need advice on how to be both ignorant and patronising at the same time, I'll know who to ask... :smile:

No, I think you've got both of them covered.

lulubel

Über Member
Recovery protein = milk. And a high protein meal after you've showered if the ride was long/hard enough to need it.

There's no need for special products, but there are times when they can be convenient.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
That's the norm though I'd also add fruit malt and fig rolls for another 1500 calories.

It's carbs and glucose that supply the fuel so why on earth 'recovery 'protein comes in without provisos I can't quite figure.
Recovery fig rolls anyone?

@albion since no one answered your query and you are a local I'll have a bash. On hard efforts where you get to the point of exhausting your bodies supply of carbs and you can't get them in fast enough it will attack itself and break down the amino acids it can get from protein, ie your muscles. Some people smell of amonia from this. One of the dangers after a hard ride is this process continues and by dropping some protein in to your recovery meal/drink whatever, it can increase protein levels in the blood which get broken down and spare your muscles.

thefollen

Veteran
Must say I enjoy a nice For Goodness Shake after any hefty exertion. They've really sped up the recovery after a hellrunner or two (11mile multi-terrain trail run). Good after long cycles also. Real food's all good, but a shake's easily portable and quick to bash back instantly afterwards.

The idea with a recovery drink is it digests quicker than food and you are more susceptible (for want of a better word) to protein/carbs immediately after exercise to maximize recovery. Like a lot of people here, milk for me (protein and lactose) or occasionally a recovery shake mixed with milk if I've done something particularly stupid energetic. Rest of the day just a bit of protein in my meals from real food sources. If I do an event somewhere on a warm day where I've got nowhere to keep milk cool or a bottle of water to mix with a powdered milk/recovery drink I'll take a recovery bar.

It still sounds marketing terminology to me.

Maybe it is in fact useful post bonk but I imagine simple carbs digest quicker.

I expect you may be right:smile: . What I meant to say is that drinks in general are supposed to digest quicker than solid food so whatever you choose to ingest the liquid form will get into your blood quickest be it simple carbs, protein or both. "Or so I've read" as my disclaimer.

Top Bottom