Recovery Protein???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Remember the original poster was asking about post ride recovery products here not in ride supplementation. We all know that carrying a chicken from Tesco deli counter in your jersey pocket is a greasy unpleasant affair and a gel or supplement bar is a good thing when riding at effort. But post ride, you need not worry about the same issues, so you should be able to consume some real food should you choose to make the effort.

If you choose supplements, you are essentially choosing convenience and a lighter wallet, if that is your choice, fine. It's only a problem when you think the supplements are "better" than real food and will make you into a better rider than normal food would. It's no different from thinking the latest bit of kit for your bike will turn you into a racing machine, you know in your head it won't, but you still somehow let the fantasy world take over and you spend the money on it!

I think the point was more that it was harder to measure your recovery rate, and easy to measure your performance.

thank you.. ;)

Interval training teaches your body to recover faster between efforts, but I thought we were talking about recovery between training sessions. Either way, the best measure of fitness is still performance, not recovery...

There's no way that's 5000 calories. It might be on cyclemeter, or many other estimating sites, which over estimate massively. TdF riders might just about manage 1000 calories an hour, no way us mortals would.

I did a brisk 72 miler on Saturday with 1.5 litres of basic sports drink and 1 energy bar. No problem. It was warm too. I had a good breakfast before going out of porridge and a banana.

How long did those 72 miles take you?

Burning 1000 calories an hour isn't impossible, even for a keen amateur.

You've done a 100 miles in 5 hours on sarnies, a banana and a couple of cereal bars? Really? Yes I am calling you out on this.

How was your recovery after that? Could you do it again on the next day?

No - five hours round here gets you about 85-90 miles - but that's the kind of grub I take when needed. I could have ridden again the next day, but it wouldn't have been as quick. I don't need to do 5-hour rides back to back...

My performance during any given race is as much a factor of the other racers fitness as it is mine.

you don't say. Thing is, you can only influence your own fitness....

albion

Guru
I've ridden hard 5-hour rides on a couple of marmalade sarnies, a banana and a couple of cereal bars (although not necessarily taken in that order) and about 1.5 litres of fluid. I'm not alone in that either. Just because you can't do it yourself, doesn't mean it can't be done...

Also - why do you keep talking about pork pies? Nobody else is....
That's the norm though I'd also add fruit malt and fig rolls for another 1500 calories.

It's carbs and glucose that supply the fuel so why on earth 'recovery 'protein comes in without provisos I can't quite figure.
Recovery fig rolls anyone?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
You also don't need to replace the entire ride expenditure in ride as you'd just not be able to digest it. I work on about 150 calories an hour to stop me bonking. It seems to do the trick for me. But I'm certainly not Bradley wiggins.

4 hours and it was about 2500 calories

Not bad, you're not far off the 1000 cal/per hour mark yourself, just up that average from 18 to 20mph and you'll be burning an additional 1000* calories for the same distance.

Plus if you weigh +16stone like me, knocking out 1000 cal/per hour is much easier (or harder).

*numbers based on this online calc

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Not bad, you're not far off the 1000 cal/per hour mark yourself, just up that average from 18 to 20mph and you'll be burning an additional 1000* calories for the same distance.

Plus if you weigh +16stone like me, knocking out 1000 cal/per hour is much easier (or harder).

*numbers based on this online calc

I think your calculator is broken.

In my experience of weight loss, (3 stone since last October, so I feel qualified) the vast majority of these calculator sites over estimate by about 40%. It makes it very hard to count calorie deficit accurately. As I've got down to the last few body fat %'s of my target Ive needed to base my calculations on what actually goes in against what I'm burning/loosing. I can now predict to about 0.25 lbs what I'm going to weigh based on accurate counting and correct BMR calculation.

Interestingly the only site that is almost bang on is strava when you upload a fully loaded file to it of a ride. It's much closer (it uses rider weight and equipment weight in its algorythms). If strava is saying your on 1000 calories per hour then fair play.

Most of those sites are coded to make you feel better.

Top Bottom