Recovery Protein???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not really, embarrasing that is. you don,t get more than 10 secs of my time at most.

Glad to hear it. I'd be even more glad if you answered my question. Is there a problem with it..? You were very quick to respond earlier, when you thought you might score another internet victory... :smile:

lukesdad

That's good then. Now it's my turn. Refer to my original post on this particular issue and then consider these two hypothetical statements:

1) "wow, my fitness is great - I've won all my races this season"
2) "my fitness is not good - I get dropped in all my races. On the upside though, I'm recovering really well"

Now, which of these statements do you think better defines 'fitness' in the context in which it is being discussed here..??
Neither, those statements define talent.

uh? of course they would. Why wouldn't they..??

We're talking about a quick 100 here, not a nice day in the country where even I would prefer a good pub lunch over any power bar.

100 miles, 4-5 hours, easy +5000 calories. Even if you start fully carbo loaded and after a light breakfast you're still looking at replacing +2500 calories during the ride. That's 25 bananas, are you going to carry 25 bananas in your jersey pocket? Or maybe you think a few pork pies will do the job, you may only need about 8 of them. (And do you consider a pork pie more of a real food than say a Clif bar?)

Real food doesn't cut it because you often have to eat bigger helpings to extract the nutrients required, which means the gut has to work harder (not great when you're trying to ride at 20mph) and you have to carry more food.

What food then, can be carried to fuel a fast 100miler?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I usually have a tub of PhD protein shake mix in the house because I like the flavour, although I dont bother to use it very often as my normal diet is sufficient IMHO. I just use it when my daily protein intake is perhaps low and i dont feel like munching a tin of tuna etc. :smile:

I've ridden hard 5-hour rides on a couple of marmalade sarnies, a banana and a couple of cereal bars (although not necessarily taken in that order) and about 1.5 litres of fluid. I'm not alone in that either. Just because you can't do it yourself, doesn't mean it can't be done...

Also - why do you keep talking about pork pies? Nobody else is....

MattHB

Proud Daddy
We're talking about a quick 100 here, not a nice day in the country where even I would prefer a good pub lunch over any power bar.

100 miles, 4-5 hours, easy +5000 calories. Even if you start fully carbo loaded and after a light breakfast you're still looking at replacing +2500 calories during the ride. That's 25 bananas, are you going to carry 25 bananas in your jersey pocket? Or maybe you think a few pork pies will do the job, you may only need about 8 of them. (And do you consider a pork pie more of a real food than say a Clif bar?)

Real food doesn't cut it because you often have to eat bigger helpings to extract the nutrients required, which means the gut has to work harder (not great when you're trying to ride at 20mph) and you have to carry more food.

There's no way that's 5000 calories. It might be on cyclemeter, or many other estimating sites, which over estimate massively. TdF riders might just about manage 1000 calories an hour, no way us mortals would.

I did a brisk 72 miler on Saturday with 1.5 litres of basic sports drink and 1 energy bar. No problem. It was warm too. I had a good breakfast before going out of porridge and a banana.

^_^ slipping into insults oh dear !

it was an observation based on the available evidence - not an insult.. :smile:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
But the reason why you are getting dropped in races can be directly due to a poor recovery rate.

E.g. if after a sprint section or climb you take longer to recovery than other racers, you will be dropped.

I think the point was more that it was harder to measure your recovery rate, and easy to measure your performance.

I've ridden hard 5-hour rides on a couple of marmalade sarnies, a banana and a couple of cereal bars (although not necessarily taken in that order) and about 1.5 litres of fluid. I'm not alone in that either. Just because you can't do it yourself, doesn't mean it can't be done...

Also - why do you keep talking about pork pies? Nobody else is....

You've done a 100 miles in 5 hours on sarnies, a banana and a couple of cereal bars? Really? Yes I am calling you out on this.

How was your recovery after that? Could you do it again on the next day?

Top Bottom