Red light!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I made a bit of a mistake last night. I was waiting at these lights in the ASZ. A car was in the lane besides me, and I was watching the other direction's lights. I saw them go onto amber and then red, waited a few seconds, and prepared myself to move off (push off gently). What I didnt notice was that my lights hadnt actually changed and I was still looking at the other direction's. At the last minute I realised and stopped before I went through the junction. I stopped where the bus is on GoogleMaps.
A car had been coming up behind me and must have thought that as I went, it was a green light. When I stopped, he stopped behind me and I just pointed at the lights, turned around and said "I am sure they changed" to the guy behind me. He said sorry and then the lights changed.
About a minute later the guy overtook me and I apologised to him (not sure it was my fault he went through the lights).

In all I hate traffic lights because they never change for cyclists and they mess you about like this one did.

I was lucky that I was checking the junction anyway because I could have been T-boned by someone! :ohmy:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
and they mess you about like this one did.

How did they mess you about ? The idea is to look at the lights in the direction you are going.
thumbsup.png

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Well at least you said sorry....that's a lot more than some people would have. Saying sorry when it's your fault shows motorists that not all cyclist are peanuts to be mown down, we are human and we do make mistakes, and it takes a big person to admit when they are wrong and fess up.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Well at least you said sorry....that's a lot more than some people would have. Saying sorry when it's your fault shows motorists that not all cyclist are peanuts to be mown down, we are human and we do make mistakes, and it takes a big person to admit when they are wrong and fess up.

It wasnt really a major apology. I just said sorry for causing the guy to nearly go through the red light (even though it wasnt really my fault he wasnt concentrating either).

HovR

Über Member
I was lucky that I was checking the junction anyway because I could have been T-boned by someone!

As I've seen in someone's sig: A green light doesn't mean that it is safe to go, it just means the bulb is working! You should still check for vehicles!

Hip Priest

Veteran

+1

I clipped a wing mirror whilst filtering the other week. Raised a hand to apologise and the driver was cool.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i actually had the opposite to this in the centre of leamington spa.

i was working my way to the front of the que (mainly cos i was lost and wanted to figure out where i was) and as i came alongside the car at the front the guy inside started beeping his horn and pointing at the lights.

the obviously thought i was going to jump the lights even though traffic was crossing in front of us. i also made a small gesture at him, but it wasn't an apology :biggrin:

Gatley lass

Über Member
+1

I clipped a wing mirror whilst filtering the other week. Raised a hand to apologise and the driver was cool.

I did the same to a white van! Got a beautiful bruise but helped driver put mirror back and he was nice about it and even asked if I was hurt.

Top Bottom