Ribble cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
That's not a phrase I like, "Starter bike". It implies a sub standard machine which has to be upgraded at some point in the future whereas anything above what we term as a BSO is more than capable of taking you from one end of the country to the other, will not put you at a disadvantage in any fish& chipper organised by one of the local clubs that a bit of extra training wouldn't overcome and is all you need for even the most demanding sportive. Sure, an extra two grand spend will get you a gain, but the law of diminishing returns being what it is only a marginal one. If you're a snail on the climbs you'll still be one no matter how light the bike is and if you are struggling to break evens in a 25 a top end TT bike won't put you under the hour.

All this entry level nonsense is a media invented thing in the wake of the "New Golf" boom, when middle aged fashionistas with high disposable income are willing and able to splash out four or five grand on an ego trip. Good luck to anyone who can do that, but it skews the perceptions of what you actually need to compete in and enjoy the sport. As someone once said, it's not about the bike. Something brought home to me last year when a lady on a Tiagra equipped Moda with unbranded wheels and tyres blew me apart on a climb.
Some good points, Comparing 2 different bikes with 2 different riders is one thing, but it falls down when you properly compare 2 different bikes with the same rider.

I am noticably faster and more comfortable on my new bike than my first bike. No question about it.

bpsmith

Veteran
At the end of the day the frame is good enough for what most people on here do. :thumbsup:
I agree. I am replying in relation to people talking about upgrades though. Never said that they bike wouldn't be suitable without upgrades. That was somebody else, you will notice. ;)

bpsmith

Veteran
Sorry was not aimed at you, just a general remark.:thumbsup:
No apology needed. :smile:

I am stepping out of this one now, as could appear that I have something against Ribble or their bikes, and that's simply not the case. I also was just replying to the other general remarks too.

shadow master

I think the point being missed is that the Ribble is being compared to other big brands and the difference in price attributed to it being solely down to the label on it and the associated marketing.

The argument being made above, is that the cost saving is down to using older tech frames that no longer carry any development costs, along with blatantly selling the top spec in the picture, next to the bottom spec price!

You can buy a new old stock big brand bike for a fraction of the 2015 model, and it's still newer tech than the Ribble frames.

Don't get me wrong, the Ribble bikes are no doubt very good and many will enjoy them, but let's not be fooled into thinking that they compare.
Well said!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The Vitus I'm riding <<<< came from pretty much(if not the same) the same moulding as the Carrera Virago yet wasn't much dearer when I bought it, even though it's considerably better specced..

That doesn't make the Carrera bad nor the Vitus expensive, in fact I don't really know what it shows other than perhaps how different brands spec the base frame once their colour scheme has been applied.

I'm sure out there somewhere, the frames/bikes bought from Ribble Dolan Vitus Planet X amongst others are being happily ridden branded as something else again.

gbb

Legendary Member
The OP is making no claims, All i said it's the cheapest bike i have seen with Di2, Show me one cheaper, or read the thread properly.
Sorry Derrick, my mistake...i'd been reading every post and lforgot who actually was OP :thumbsup:
The point was made for shadow masters 'benefit'...who seems hell bent on telling everyone what they probably already know, that the Ribble isn't the peak of technological excellence...its like complaining you brought a Ford when a Rolls is quite obviously so much better. Surprisingly, I think we all can work that one out for ourselves.

shadow master

Sorry Derrick, my mistake...i'd been reading every post and lforgot who actually was OP :thumbsup:
The point was made for shadow masters 'benefit'...who seems hell bent on telling everyone what they probably already know, that the Ribble isn't the peak of technological excellence...its like complaining you brought a Ford when a Rolls is quite obviously so much better. Surprisingly, I think we all can work that one out for ourselves.
Obviously,Not all people can work it out,they tell me bike frames haven't change in the last century!!lol

Reactions: gbb

Leodis

Veteran
When I was buying a Ribble I found this forum post very helpful.

I bought the R872 a couple of years ago, I love it. I had a £1500 budget for my first road bike and for £1600 I got campagnolo centaur red, 2 way Zonda wheelset with a decent ITM finishing kit, I searched the market for a big corporation bike for the spec and failed. All the market leaders failed to get anywhere near within £1k for a similar spec. It seems odd spending 2 or 3k on a bike then have to upgrade the wheelset and tyres on off the shelf bikes.

I love the fact some still think buying a market leader bike they are getting the latest tech, the tech is their higher end of a few years ago and is the same pass down tech as Ribble but at a higher cost.

I have been in the market with the thought of using cycle scheme, the bikes for the price in this range have been very poor with the exception of Dolan but I want hydr discs so coughed up a bit more and i am ordering a Rose pro dx cross-3000 Hydr.

Last edited:
Top Bottom