Ribble cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You can buy a new old stock big brand bike for a fraction of the 2015 model, and it's still newer tech than the Ribble frames.

Don't get me wrong, the Ribble bikes are no doubt very good and many will enjoy them, but let's not be fooled into thinking that they compare.
Yes but does it really matter to the average punter? Ribbles primary customer base!

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you actually get a 2015 big brand bike with DI2 for £1400? Most will think about the components before the age of the frame design, the fancy whizz bang electronic stuff probably appeals to a certain customer type which is their target here.
Not the materials scientist who wants the latest carbon weave and lay up (whatever that might be) but doesn't give a monkey's about the moving parts

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A 2015 big brand frame is 9 times out of 10 the same as the 2014 and the 2013 frame just with a different paint scheme to make it appear "new" to the consumer. The biggest change in recent years has been the increasing number of aero frames coming to the market as roadbikes not just TT specific bikes. Specialized have been making the Venge for a few years and the basics of the frame have hardly altered during this time.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
You can buy a new old stock big brand bike for a fraction of the 2015 model, and it's still newer tech than the Ribble frames.

Really? I'd be somewhat surprised if you could find a new "big brand bike" of any vintage with a Di2 groupset for the same price as the Ribble. I'd be even more suprised if it was offered in any "normal" size, judging by the stores selling last years "bargains" the only sizes available are either extremely small or extremely large.....

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Nor the aesthetics in any sort of positive way, still fugly :biggrin:
9U1CMN9.jpg

You know you want one really. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Why on earth would you want a frame with the names of parts of an animal's body...including tail (or worse the same word is a colloquialism for penis, which is what you would look riding one :biggrin: )

bpsmith

Veteran
Yes but does it really matter to the average punter? Ribbles primary customer base!
Exactly. That's my point. They will love it and why shouldn't they.

What I am saying is that it is being compared as equal to other "big brand" bikes in this thread, for people who are not necessarily Ribble's primary customer base.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Exactly. That's my point. They will love it and why shouldn't they.

What I am saying is that it is being compared as equal to other "big brand" bikes in this thread, for people who are not necessarily Ribble's primary customer base.
:thumbsup:

bpsmith

Veteran
What makes me chuckle more, is that when you spec the wheels in the sales picture, you cant spec it with tyres as they only allow a single tyre choice that are incompatible. The price is with Alu seatpost, as the carbon is a further price hike, and you physically cant even spec it with the White saddle and post in the picture either. If you spec the white bars and stem, carbon spacers and carbon post, it totals at £2,026.49. Add a further £100 for a pair of Continental Tubulars and your up to £2,126.49.

Tell me it compares...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/transonic-21-2015-road-bike-ec067762

That's the first bike I found from a Google with the Di2 criteria at this price area. There are plenty more to find too.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
while i agree about the questionable marketing tactics of showing a fully pimped-up version of a bike that, for the price, comes with shimano sora groupset and rodi airline wheels, i think it's worth bearing one thing in mind:
ribble have been around a while, and their primary customers prior to the post '08 cycling boom were club cyclists, who will probably own more than one bike. getting a carbon frame with d12 for that money certainly makes sense if you've already got a decent set of wheels to put on, using the rodis for the winter hack.

their bike builder is also perfect if you're building to a budget; compromise on bits you already have/aren't fussed about, rather than trying to find an off-the-peg solution that isn't a compromise in areas you'd rather it wasn't...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you want to order online IMO Rose is actually better value (and I own 2 Ribbles). They also have a vast range of bikes - not just road.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think the point being missed is that the Ribble is being compared to other big brands and the difference in price attributed to it being solely down to the label on it and the associated marketing.

The argument being made above, is that the cost saving is down to using older tech frames that no longer carry any development costs, along with blatantly selling the top spec in the picture, next to the bottom spec price!

Don't get me wrong, the Ribble bikes are no doubt very good and many will enjoy them, but let's not be fooled into thinking that they compare.

Thats where OP goes wrong IMO. The ribble will probably be a perfectly fine bike for the money and represent excellent VFM (i have a Sportive Racing, i'm VERY happy with it, stiff, comfortable, good looking IMO, what more do i need ?)
But OP complaining they're old technology and comparing them with more expensive bikes is just ridiculous....if the buyer wants latest technology, he's going to pay a lot more for a different brand. If buyer wants Ribble to use the latest technology...he's going to pay a lot more.
Basic mistake,,,he complains its not latest technology...but chooses to ignore the fact its cheap.

C'mon, 90% of road bike purchasers are weekend warriors....the Ribble will in all probability give them the best bang for buck they'll ever get. The fact it isnt latest tech doesnt matter one iota.

bpsmith

Veteran
Thats where OP goes wrong IMO. The ribble will probably be a perfectly fine bike for the money and represent excellent VFM (i have a Sportive Racing, i'm VERY happy with it, stiff, comfortable, good looking IMO, what more do i need ?)
But OP complaining they're old technology and comparing them with more expensive bikes is just ridiculous....if the buyer wants latest technology, he's going to pay a lot more for a different brand. If buyer wants Ribble to use the latest technology...he's going to pay a lot more.
Basic mistake,,,he complains its not latest technology...but chooses to ignore the fact its cheap.

C'mon, 90% of road bike purchasers are weekend warriors....the Ribble will in all probability give them the best bang for buck they'll ever get. The fact it isnt latest tech doesnt matter one iota.
I think the point is that it mates an older frame design with Di2. Anyone buying Di2 would surely want the rest of the components to match. If we were looking at the Ultegra model, then opinion would be completely different, mine included.

My argument is not against Ribble specifically, as applies to a couple of other similar brand setups.

In fact, I am chuffed that they buy components in such great bulk, otherwise I wouldn't be able to buy from them at such a great deal. A guy in Tredz said that the price Ribble sell at is often cheaper than the wholesale price that Tredz buy in at. Believe that or not, who knows, but interesting.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
What makes me chuckle more, is that when you spec the wheels in the sales picture, you cant spec it with tyres as they only allow a single tyre choice that are incompatible. The price is with Alu seatpost, as the carbon is a further price hike, and you physically cant even spec it with the White saddle and post in the picture either. If you spec the white bars and stem, carbon spacers and carbon post, it totals at £2,026.49. Add a further £100 for a pair of Continental Tubulars and your up to £2,126.49.

Tell me it compares...

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/transonic-21-2015-road-bike-ec067762

That's the first bike I found from a Google with the Di2 criteria at this price area. There are plenty more to find too.

Admittedly the bike in the Ribble picture is not what you get for £1400 (Ribble are notorious for this, both on the website and in magazine adds, and in my view it should be stopped).

However, the fact remains Ribble will sell you a Di2 equipped carbon road bike for £1399.
The bike you linked to is almost a £1000 more expensive.... for many people that will put it well out of reach,

Top Bottom