Ribble cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

I'm vaguely curious why you think the age of a design has any bearing over its quality. Manufacturers don't make radical changes regularly as the bicycle frame is a conservative and simple thing (unless you're Mike Burrows or Graeme Obree).

Ribble have found a winning design with the Gran Fondo (and their winter frame, which wouldn't have looked out of place 30 years ago and certainly isn't moulded), so why hack about changing it? It's not like it's going to be ridden in the pro peloton, where chat about the latest aero improvements or whatever is largely marketing gubbins designed to flog expensive bikes to the easily impressed.
Define "quality" build quality there OK,is the ride performance quality as good and efficient as a modern carbon frame with the latest technology,no way.all monocoque frames come from moulds,the small list of changes to frames I've listed above,make the argument frames haven't changed absolutely ridiculous....early carbon frames were aluminium proportions bb,headstock,etc,now the alloy ones have followed carbon proportions! I'm glad I've had the benefit of visiting the factories in the far east,I can tell many people haven't!

AndyRM

XOXO
The Gran Fondo has pretty much all of the attributes you listed, oversized tubing, heft BB shell and head-tube, it's not one of the skinny lugged efforts from the 90s.

I'm really not sure what your point is to be honest.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The Gran Fondo has pretty much all of the attributes you listed, oversized tubing, heft BB shell and head-tube, it's not one of the skinny lugged efforts from the 90s.

I'm really not sure what your point is to be honest.
He doesn't either.

I mean carbon moulds that are 7-8 years out of date,old technology!
A carbon mould is an inanimate object, and last I checked if you stored one for 30 years (let say Pinarello F8 mould) then brought it out, it would still produce the same frame with up to date weaves/layup.

That to me, is a rather cool thought. Id love a now retro shape/new tech F8 as a retirement pressie somewhere around 2050

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive gone through the list of components and built up the bike you actually get for your £1399

krush-14-1381156765.jpg

Di2 included !

Drago

Legendary Member
I mean carbon moulds that are 7-8 years out of date,old technology!

Eh? Current carbon moulding technology is pretty much the same as GRP moulding technology. The only real improvements in the last 30 years is the understanding of how laying the weave gives different characteristics, and the varying methods for forming the cavities within the frame, oh, and techniques that improve production time and cost rather than the frame itself. The only thing "old" about the frame is its style, and even that's highly debatable.

Stand in a carbon fibre workshop and you couldnt even point to the autoclave, much less operate it, yet you feel able to lecture to us about carbon technology?

I'm glad I worked in a CF workshop (my brother in-laws business, worked OR for him a few years back) and not just visited a factory. I visited a pet shop the other day and by your reasoning I'm now a Vet.

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
Looks like I should embarrassed buying a Genesis Day One with it's steel frame and hub gears.....

Anyway, yes that is an awful lot of bike for the money!

Tony.

shadow master

He doesn't either.

A carbon mould is an inanimate object, and last I checked if you stored one for 30 years (let say Pinarello F8 mould) then brought it out, it would still produce the same frame with up to date weaves/layup.

That to me, is a rather cool thought. Id love a now retro shape/new tech F8 as a retirement pressie somewhere around 2050
No that's incorrect!The mould can't automatically change shape to increase head stock and bb shell size and to include internal cables,yes you could use a later carbon weave,but in an old shape mould what's the point?

shadow master

Looks like I should embarrassed buying a Genesis Day One with it's steel frame and hub gears.....

Anyway, yes that is an awful lot of bike for the money!

Tony.
Not at all its not the material that's in question,The genesis brand use a high quality steel frame,are they the same as a halfords Apollo steel frame?they must be according to people on here,all carbon frames are the same apparently,nothing has changed in 100 years apparently,you can store a mould for 30 years,and when you reuse it,a frame pops out that's bang up to date????must be the Houdini factory!

Top Bottom