Ribble cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

Out of interest I recently test rode an LBS brand bike that I think is an "open mould" frame painted up with fancy colours. It was very light indeed and handled well but no better than my Roubaix SL4. However the big problem for me was that my heels kept striking the chainstays, which were quite straight from BB to dropout rather than curved in to accommodate folk like me with turned-out feet. When I mentioned this to the shopkeeper he retorted: "Oh, that's because you've got your pedals set up wrong." Well, s'cuse me... I've spent about five years getting my pedals set up and enjoying them so I'm more inclined to think that the frame could do with a small redesign.

It just underlines the importance of test-riding a bike before you splash the cash.
Yep,the Forme range of road bikes had kicked out stays with the gear cable stop welded on the outside!your foot catches on the heel,stupid design,,,but the cycle comic's never picked it up!

shadow master

Those who refurb/rebuild 80s frames seem to do ok now, whats the real difference?
Oh my god!!.....off the point....lots of those frame on the pro tour last year....I'm talking about the latest designs for performance not bored people doing up retro bikes.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Oh my god!!.....off the point....lots of those frame on the pro tour last year....I'm talking about the latest designs for performance not bored people doing up retro bikes.
The bikes of the 80's being refurbed/rebuilt not don't seem to run into much trouble. Neither will the bikes of 2015 in 30 years time.

You're trying to claim that tech will move on (refer to your own bottom bracket/headtube post) and once it does everything else stops working, it doesn't... The "performance" of today is tomorrows retro....

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have a sneaking suspicion that "some" people view anything that doesn't come with a triple A+ brand name on the side as being crap.

These people are a marketing departments wet dream... they will happily hand over a small fortune for the latest, greatest thing, as long as the logo is this years colour....You could probably get a significant proportion to buy sugar coated shoot as long as it had the right label.

Personally I suspect the Ribble is probably a fine bike, more than enough for 99.9% of riders needs, and looks a bargain. I wouldn't personally buy one though, as I've been bitten before by Ribbles idea of "service".

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I do think Ribble should show the the bike actually offered. Bit naughty really. As it stands the offer's a good one at that price. but those are heavy wheels.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Lets get a sense of perspective here. The bike isn't aimed at potential TdF winners or Premier calendar contenders, but Ordinary Bloke who rides for leisure, races at club level or does a few long distance sportives. As such it represents very good value for money, it doesn't claim to be cutting edge but if you want cutting edge you're looking north of three times the price. Some of the finishing kit is low rent, but you'll find plenty of bikes at two grand plus that are like that.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
look at the spec, it's very (completely) different to the pictured bike - it does have Di2 though if that's what you are after! Canyon and Cube make good quality 'cheap' bikes - might be worth a look at their Di2 offerings.
Yes i have looked at the spec, I am just saying it's the cheapest bike i have seen with Di2 on it, If you have seen cheaper put up a link.:thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm sure the Ribble rides beautifully and makes ordinary people feel like cycling gods. Cycling must be one of the few sports where an amateur can derive as much pleasure from the equipment and the activity as a professional does.

Kestevan's right though... selling consumer goods is all about getting the brand right and above all, the price. If Pinarellos were cheap and plentiful, nobody would believe they were any good so there'd be no demand for them and no cachet attached to the name. Conversely people shop at supermarkets where goods are displayed in huge profusion because that makes them think they must be getting value for money.

bpsmith

Veteran
I think the point being missed is that the Ribble is being compared to other big brands and the difference in price attributed to it being solely down to the label on it and the associated marketing.

The argument being made above, is that the cost saving is down to using older tech frames that no longer carry any development costs, along with blatantly selling the top spec in the picture, next to the bottom spec price!

You can buy a new old stock big brand bike for a fraction of the 2015 model, and it's still newer tech than the Ribble frames.

Don't get me wrong, the Ribble bikes are no doubt very good and many will enjoy them, but let's not be fooled into thinking that they compare.

Top Bottom